Friday, August 28, 2015

Book Beginnings - 8/28/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
My book beginnings is taken from SUMMER AT HIDEAWAY KEY by Barbara Davis.

 
"Lily barely registered the sound of her own name being spoken, jumbled together with a lot of legalese.  The lawyer was doing his thing, parceling out her father's worldly goods like door prizes at an Amway rally - stocks, bonds, corporate holdings.  She didn't care.  Not about those things."

Love Ms. Davis's books.  

THE WISHING TIDE is a favorite of mine.  Review is in the book's title.
***********
I finished these books the last two weeks.

WATER FROM MY HEART by Charles Martin.


Review is in the book's title.

I enjoy Charles Martin's books.

 ***********

A CURIOUS BEGINNING by Deanna Raybourn.



It is a good mystery with odd characters.  :)  My review will be up on September 30.
**************
THE SECRETS OF LAKE ROAD by Karen Katchur.

 

It was a good mystery with revelations that will surprise you.

My review will be up on August 31.

*******************

What are you reading or what have you read?





25 comments:

  1. I hope you are reading a good book.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your teaser book has a pretty cover. Perfect for the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read 5 pages so no opinion yet, but her books are always very good.

      I am looking forward to getting started.

      Thanks for stopping, Kay.

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    Sounds like a good summer read. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to the read.

      Love the cover.

      Thanks for stopping, Sherrie.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful images in those sentences. I'm finishing up an urban fantasy series this week with Total Eclipse by Rachel Caine. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good imagery.

      Enjoy your urban fantasy.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      Delete
  5. I just went to an author reading/book signing for Barbara Davis a few weeks ago and got my copy of this book (and her previous two) signed! She was so nice and I loved The Secrets She Carried so am happy to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read The Wishing Tide and loved it.

      I have never met Ms. Davis, but I know she must be a wonderful person.

      Glad you got to meet her.

      Thanks for stopping, Colleen.

      Delete
  6. I like the opening to Summer at Hideaway Key. The author does a good job of showing the character's grief. I'll be looking for this book and others by this author.
    My Friday post features Taming Jenna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does show a great deal about the character.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  7. Sounds really good! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping, Laurel.

      It should be a good read.

      Delete
  8. This sounds fantastic and I absolutely love the cover. Looks very summery without being silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is beautiful.

      Her books are always so good.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  9. I liked the beginning; also love the cover. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are good, aren't they?

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  10. Ooh I wonder what's happening in this beginning! i do love the term 'legalese', it's perfect! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great week!

    My Friday post

    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes..."legalese" does kind of grab you. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Juli.

      Delete
  11. It sounds good!
    I read A Window Opens by Elisabeth Egan this week - loved it! Now on to If You Only Knew by Kristan Higgins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear A Window Opens is good.

      I hope If You Only Knew is good.

      ENJOY your reading weekend.

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like good read, never heard of that author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check out her books. All good reads.

      Thanks for stopping, Stormi.

      Delete
  13. I finished the Raybourn book last night. Odd characters definitely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...glad you agree on odd characters.

      Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      Delete