Friday, August 7, 2015

Book Beginnings - 8/7/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
My book beginnings is taken from HEART LAND by Caroline Miller.

"The snow crunched under my feel as I climbed the wooden stairs of the craftsman  house that had been the family home since Mom and Dad were married."

Ms. Miller's books have wonderful descriptions and good storylines.  This book is a fictional memoir of two of the characters.


***********
I finished this book last week.
 
THE PROMISE OF HOME by Darcie Chan.

LOVED this and all of Ms. Chan's books.  

Review is in the book's title.

**************
What are you reading or what have you read?




12 comments:

  1. ENJOY whatever you are reading, and have a wonderful weekend.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Heartland sounds like a book that would take us all back to yesteryear in our memories.

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....lots of memories.

      Thanks for stopping, Anne.

      Delete
  3. The Heartland sounds very good and I'm unfamiliar with the author. I've already added The Promise of Home to my TBR. It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will LOVE The Promise of Home. Start with her first one if you can. The Mill River Recluse.

      Heartland is good, but you are pretty young for the nostalgia of that time period. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  4. I love the visual images portrayed in this excerpt...a craftsman house is the ultimate cozy style for me. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “FRIDAY ON MY MIND”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good. I finished it last night and put the review up.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  5. Hi - The beginning refuses to give much away, but I could see wanting to continue.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elizabeth,

    I am undecided whethet or not to add 'Heart Land' to my list, although that opening is quite intriguing, as it doesn't give much away, yet needs me wanting to know more.

    Also, although not technically historical fiction, it does resonate with the more descriptive writing of a bygone age, if the official GR synopsis is a gauge.

    The 'Mill River' series sounds quite good, although you advised Katherine to go back and start with the first book in the series, so does this mean that they don't work too well as stand alone stories?

    Great post, thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only advised to start with the first one so you get to know the characters and fill the love they radiate. They are all fine as stand alones.

      They all are very good.

      Heart Land is not my typical read. I don't like memoirs, but this one was a different kind of memoir.

      My review is up if you want to stop.

      Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that Elizabeth.

      I don't enjoy memoirs either, but as you say, 'Heart Land' does sound a bit different :)

      Delete
    3. You are welcome, Yvonne.

      Thanks for stopping back.

      Delete