Friday, September 25, 2015

Book Beginnings - 9/25/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
My book beginnings is taken from PRETENDING TO DANCE by Diane Chamberlain:

 
"I'm a good liar.  I take comfort in that fact as Aidan and I seit next to each other on our leather sectional, so close together that our thighs touch.  I wonder if that's too close.  Patti, the social worker sitting on the other wing of our sectional, writes something in her notes, and with every scribble of her pen, I worry her words will cost us our baby."

I actually finished this book last night, but will still use it as my book beginnings.  It wasn't a favorite for me.

***********
I finished these books the last two weeks.

THE LAST SEPTEMBER by Nina De Gramont:

 ***********

STONES IN THE ROAD by E. B. Moore:


Review is in the book's title. 

***********

THE PARIS KEY by Juliet Blackwell.

 
LOVED it.  The review is in the book's title. 
The cover is enough to pull you in.

**********
HOUSE OF THIEVES by Charles Belfoure.

Another excellent read by Mr. Belfoure.

Review is in book's title. 
 ***********

If you enjoyed his book, THE PARIS ARCHITECT, you will also enjoy HOUSE OF THIEVES.

*******************

What are you reading or what have you read?







26 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing...as you know, I loved Pretending to Dance, but wouldn't it make a great book club choice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good book club book. There would be a lot to discuss.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  2. That intro seems to give a good perspective on what the book is about. It makes me wonder how she will make the adoption process suspenseful or exciting, as her books usually have a little something like that. Sorry you weren't a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot more than the adoption. :)

      It seems people really like or it is just an ok read for them.

      Thanks for stopping, Elizbeth.

      Delete
  3. It's a shame that PRETENDING TO DANCE by Diane Chamberlain wasn't better liked. The opening sounded pretty good.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear different opinions. It wasn't bad, but just not a favorite.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  4. Sorry it wasn't a favorite. Hope your next read is awesome! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Sorry to be so late getting to yours today. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed up on your Paris book recommendations and have placed a holds at the public library. Thank you.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I really appreciate comments.

    Anne@HeadfullofBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which ones did you pick out of all of the Paris ones?

      Thanks for stopping, Anne.

      Delete
    2. I picked The Little Paris Bookshop in audiobook. I may have to wait a while, though because I am five people down on the list.

      Delete
  6. What a tragic beginning. Pulled me in though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, but not uplifting.

      Thanks for stopping, fredamans.

      Delete
  7. Elizabeth, you are going strong! My own reading has slowed down. Have a super weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how many books I read this month.

      I surprised myself. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Suko.

      Delete
  8. That is a good beginning to a book. Here is a first sentence from The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. "I keep the Beast running, I keep the 100 low lead on tap, I foresee attacks." I loved this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to stop by to see the cover. I love covers. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Terra.

      Delete
  9. Hi Elizabeth,

    Sorry you weren't a big fan of this particular book, or have you had similar thoughts about previous novels by this author?

    I only got to know the name of Diane Chamberlain, as one of her books was the very first that my MIL downloaded to her Kindle we gave her as an 80th birthday gift, long before I acquired a device of my own I may add!

    Since then, MIL has downloaded almost all of Diane's books that are available for e-readers, enjoying and recommending them all.

    The opening lines you share are quite intriguing, although as neither of the characters names mentioned appears in the premise for the book, I would have to keep reading to find out in what way this baby is at risk.

    Thanks for sharing. I hope that all is well with you and enjoy your reading week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved all of her other books.

      It has been getting mixed reviews.

      The subject matter just didn't sit well with me.

      Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      Delete
  10. I love, love, love the cover to The Paris Key. The cover alone makes me want to read it! I may just have to look into getting myself a copy of it for Kindle so I can check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. I LOVE the cover. So quaint.

      The book was equally as good.

      ENJOY when you read it.

      Thanks for stopping, thegothgirlreads.

      Delete
  11. Your two Paris books still stand out for me... and it seems they have made quite the impression :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...everyone has been commenting on them.

      I need to take them off for next week, though. I forgot this time. :)

      Thanks for stopping, guiltless reader.

      Delete
  12. Great BB! The cover is quite dreamy isn't it? I love the red dress.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....the red dress makes a great cover.

      Thanks for stopping, Amy.

      Delete