Friday, September 4, 2015

Book Beginnings - 9/4/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
My book beginnings is taken from HOUSE OF THIEVES by Charles Belfoure.
 
"IT WAS A PERFECT DAY TO ROB A BANK.  The rain outside hammered the sidewalks like a monsoon.  The river of delivery wagons, double-decked omnibuses, and carriages of all description that usually flowed in an unending torrent along West Thirty-Third Street had been reduced to a trickle."

I LOVED his other book, THE PARIS ARCHITECT.  I am sure this book will be equally as good.
***********
I finished this book last week.

SUMMER AT HIDEAWAY KEY by Barbara Davis.  

LOVED it.  Review is in the book's title.


Another book of Barbara Davis's that I enjoyed was THE WISHING TIDE.  Review is in the book's title.

*******************

What are you reading or what have you read?








23 comments:

  1. Happy Reading!!

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got an ARC of this one...and I've been debating whether to read it or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved his other book. I hope this one is as good.

      It is a bit brutal already, but I think it will be good. He does wonderful research for his books.

      Thanks for stopping, Catherine.

      Delete
  3. I've got a line up of good books and am away for the weekend so good things to look forward to! Have a good one yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ENJOY your lineup and your weekend.

      Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      Delete
  4. What wonderfully captivating reads! Thanks for sharing...and enjoy your weekend.

    Here's mine: “THE IN-BETWEEN HOUR”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Paris Architect, Summer At Hideaway Key, and The Wishing Tide were awesome reads.

      I am hoping the same for House of Thieves.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  5. I love the way the author connects the rain and the "trickle" of vehicles in the opening of House of Thieves. This sounds like a book I'd enjoy.

    My Friday post features True Believer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't pick up on that. That is great connection.

      Thanks for mentioning that and for stopping, Sandra.

      He is an excellent author.

      Delete
  6. I liked the beginning a lot. Love the cover! :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is very good...thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  7. House of Thieves sounds like a fantastic read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good.

      Great historical fiction.

      Thanks for stopping, fredamans.

      Delete
  8. It's got a great opening- I wonder what era it's set in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is set in the late 1800's.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurie.

      Delete
  9. I love historical mysteries and this opening really sets the stage for something good. I never knew that a yucky rainy day was good for robbing banks. I wonder if that is true in the modern era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...it might be. Maybe the police wagons got stuck in the mud?

      Thanks for stopping, Elizabeth

      Delete
  10. Intriguing. Not really my genre though. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good looking reads Elizabeth! I hope to get in a little reading time later today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can fit in some reading time.

      Thanks for stopping, Sheila.

      Delete
  12. Lovely opening, it's quite quirky! Looks like it'd be a good read x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good. Excellent historical research and a good storyline.

      Thanks for stopping, Amy.

      Delete