Friday, October 2, 2015

Book Beginnings - 10/2/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 

***************
My book beginnings is taken from THE GATES OF RUTHERFORD by Elizabeth Cooke:
 

"The rain fell softly on the day that she was to be married.  All night long Charlotte had been dreaming of her old home in Rutherford Park---she thought that the sound of the downpour outside was the water rushing through the red stones of the riverbed by the bridge.  It was only when she awoke that she realized she was in London, in the Chelsea house owned by the American, John Gould."

***********
I finished this book the last week:

WHEN THE DEVIL'S IDLE by Leta Serafim.



My review and a giveaway of a $25 Amazon gift card or Paypal Cash courtesy of the author and publisher will go live on my blog on November 13.

The book was a good mystery set in Greece.

*******************

What are you reading or what have you read?





16 comments:

  1. I have only read about five pages of The Gates of Rutherford.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opening lines depict a beauty in the world around her....and I could visualize the scene.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE GIRLS OF AUGUST”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound beautiful.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  3. It's so soothing to awaken to the sounds of a soft rain. Lovely beginning to a book too.
    My Friday post features Beneath Montana’s Sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...very soothing.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  4. Sounds intriguing. That was an excellent bit of scene-setting. I may have to add that to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually stopped reading this book.

      I couldn't connect with the story.

      Thanks for stopping, C. J.

      Delete
  5. Appears the author is not giving away too much with this beginning. Hope you're enjoying it! :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't enjoying it...I actually stopped reading it.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  6. Hi Elizabeth,

    I love the descriptive nature of the writing in those opening lines and hope that it continues in this vein throughout the rest of the book, in which case it looks as though you will be in for an excellent read.

    I did notice that this was the third book in the 'Rutherford Park' series and wondered if you have read either of the first two books, or if this one is going to work as a stand alone story?
    -------------------------------------
    I was also intrigued by the first lines of 'When The Devil's Idle' ...

    "In the Book of Revelation, written by St. John on the Greek island of Patmos, it was said a pale horse would appear whose rider was death, others would cry out for vengeance, and the stars of heaven would fall to the earth."

    they instantly brought to mind the premise of the film 'Pale Rider' with Clint Eastwood !

    This also sounds like an excellent read, I have never come across another story featuring a Greek detective ... can't wait to see what you thought about it :)

    Hope that all is well with you.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Greek detective was pretty cool. I enjoyed the book.

      I stopped reading The Gates of Rutherford. Maybe since it was the third book that might be why I wasn't enjoying it.

      Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      Delete
  7. I'm intrigued by your current read...it's the type of story I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't too thrilled with it. I thought I was going to like it, but couldn't get into it.

      Thanks for stopping, Catherine.

      Delete
  8. Is this a sequel to Rutherford Park? I read it and liked it. I didn't know there were going to be others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo brilliant beginning! It has such a beautiful cover too. To be honest, the beginning makes me a little sad, I think it's because of the rain. Either way, it makes me want to comfort the main character and check that she's ok :)
    Have a great day and thanks for sharing :D
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice gesture to want to check on the main character. She isn't a happy girl, and this is her wedding day.

      Thanks for stopping, Amy.

      Delete