Friday, November 27, 2015

Book Beginnings - 11/27/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
My book beginnings is taken from JAMAICA INN by Daphen Du Maurier:

 

"It was a cold grey day in late November. The weather had changed overnight, when a backing wind brought a granite sky and a mizzling rain with it, and although it was now only a little after two o'clock in the afternoon the pallour of a winter evening seemed to have closed upon the hills, cloaking them in mist.  It would be dark by four."

Sounds quite good doesn't it?  Typical Daphen Du Maurier style.  :)   
***********
I finished these books the last two weeks.  LOVED both of them.

THE SEAFRONT TEAROOM by Vanessa Greene:


THE SEAFRONT TEAROOM is a sweet, cozy read.  

Tea lovers and lovers of quaint tea shops will love this book.

I am thoroughly enjoying THE SEAFRONT TEAROOM.   

The book is as inviting as the cover.

Review and Giveaway are scheduled for December 8.
 
 ***********

WHITE COLLAR GIRL by Renee Rosen:


I LOVE Ms. Rosen's books.

Review is in book's title.

 ******************

What are you reading or what have you read? 

I am out of town for Thanksgiving so not sure how much I can respond until the weekend.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day. 

My Thanksgiving was amazing...see it here. 




25 comments:

  1. Have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the opening lines of Du Maurier's books...I have this one, ready to reread it....once I get a spare moment.

    Here's mine: “THE BLACK WIDOW”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it.

      It is Gothic and dark...just like all of her books.

      I am enjoying it.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  3. It's interesting how writing styles change over the years. Elmore Leonard warns against opening a book with weather. "It was a dark and stormy night" is cliche. However, the weather definitely sets the mood in this beginning. I like it a lot, and I'm sure I'd enjoy this book.
    My Friday post features The Mirror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that about the weather. Interesting.

      It is a good book. Old, but good. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    Sounds interesting. Haven't read one of this authors' books in ages. I'll have to check this one out. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only read REBECCA by Ms. Du Maurier. Loved it and Mrs. Danvers. :)

      I actually didn't know about this book.

      It is good...I hope you get to read it.

      Thanks for stopping, Sherrie.

      Delete
  5. I saw you were here for Thanksgiving with your son. Looks like you had a great day with perfect weather and a nice looking man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....I am still here...heading home tomorrow.

      We had a very nice time.

      Thanks for stopping, Alex.

      Delete
  6. Very descriptive and very like November where I live. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Love the description...don't like the gray, the cold, and winter.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      Delete
  7. Those opening lines! Talk about mysterious and intriguing! Thanks for visting my blog earlier! Jamaica Inn sounds creepy in all the right ways! Have a good weekend!

    Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is creepy but as you said in the right ways.

      I loved Rebecca, and I am enjoying Jamaica Inn.

      Thanks for stopping, Gennifer.

      Delete
  8. I love the opening lines - she really had a way with words. Great choice. Here's My Friday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does know how to put words together.

      Thanks for stopping, Maria.

      Delete
  9. Sounds very good. I love the phrasing the author uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is perfect for the setting of this book.

      Scary and good.

      Thanks for stopping, fredamans.

      Delete
  10. I really like Jamaica Inn, it's one of my favourite of hers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read Rebecca. Loved Rebecca and especially Mrs. Danvers. My favorite villain. :)

      I am liking Jamaica Inn. I actually didn't know she had written another book except Rebecca. :)

      I was excited when I found out. Where have I been since 1936? LOL!!

      Thanks for stopping, Clare.

      Delete
  11. The book sounds interesting! Your blog looks really good, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Makenzie. I enjoy blogging. Thanks for the compliment.

      It was very good...finished it on today.

      Thanks for stopping, Makenzie.

      Delete
  12. I do love the beginning of JAMAICA INN. Sounds like something I could get drawn into quite easily. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely...it was very alluring and good.

      Typical Du Maurier style. Loved it.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  13. Daphne du Maurier has just such a way with her words. So effortlessly poetic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect description of her writing, Jillian.

      Thanks for stopping, Jillian.

      Delete