Friday, December 18, 2015

Book Beginnings - 12/18/15


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

***************
My book beginnings is taken from THE THINGS WE KEEP by Sally Hepworth:

 
"No one trusts anything I say.  If I point out, for example, that the toast is burning or that its' time for the six o'clock news, people marvel.  How about that?  It is time for the six o'clock news.  Well done, Anna."
***********
I finished these TWO books the last two weeks.  LOVED them both.

Also look below for a giveaway...

THE VIOLINIST OF VENICE by Alyssa Palombo:


The book is as beautiful as the cover.

Giveaway and review of this book in the book's title.

USA and CANADA

 ***********

THE READERS OF THE BROKEN WHEEL RECOMMEND by Katarina Bivald.

 

I loved it.  It is a cute read that is set in a small town that doesn't have a book store and needs one.

This got so much BUZZ at the BEA this past spring.  

A publicist said this book is a #1 Indie Next Great Read for January.

My review will be on my blog on January 7, 2016 

 ******************

17 comments:

  1. Happy Reading!!

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to be reading The Things We Keep really soon...I have been putting it off because of the release date, but I think it's safe to begin now. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “SECRET SISTERS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good, but I liked The Secrets of Midwives better.

      I have about 150 pages to go.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  3. All three books you've featured today are appealing to me. I like the opening to The Things We Keep, and I'd like to get to know this character better.
    My Friday post features THE LOCKET.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Things We Keep is different from her other book.

      The other two books were terrific reads.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure I like the tone, but I do want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about a young woman who has Alzheimer's. She is in an assisted living facility.

      Slow, but addresses an important topic.

      Thanks for stopping, fredamans.

      Delete
  5. I think I want to add 'Broken Wheel' to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. You will love it, Mary.

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete
  6. The opening certainly makes me more curious about Anna. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has Alzheimer's.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  7. You have some gorgeous-looking books, Elizabeth! And it looks like they're great reads too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all were very good.

      Thanks for stopping, guiltless reader.

      Delete
  8. Hi Elizabeth,

    I really want to add 'The Things We Keep' to my list, as it does sound so very moving and current.

    However I'm not too sure that I could cope with the emotions it might evoke, especially as we have just returned home from visiting my father-in-law, who has alzheimers and seen exactly how devastating the consequences can become as the disease develops.

    People must sound so very patronising, when the person suffering from the illness is having a lucid moment and they know exactly what they are saying and thinking and can communicate it sensibly.

    Thanks for sharing, I'm going to think about adding this one :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as always for your wonderful comments.

      You may have a difficult time with the book, Yvonne.

      Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      Delete
  9. I love the looks of that cover - thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love covers. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Lauren.

      Delete