Friday, January 1, 2016

Book Beginnings - 1/1/16


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.

 HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

 ***************
GIVEAWAY ENDS Tuesday, January 5:


THE SECRETS OF MIDWIVES  
AND 
THE THINGS WE KEEP 


The publisher is offering BOTH books to one lucky reader of Silver's Reviews!!

Thank you, Katie Bassel of St. Martin's. 

***************
My book beginnings is taken from THE MURALIST by B. A. Shapiro:



"It was there when I arrived that morning, sitting to the right of my desk, ostensibly no different from the other half-dozen cartons on the floor, flaps bent back, paintings haphazardly poking out. As soon as I saw it, I ripped off my gloves, dropped to my knees, and pawed through the contents."

I actually have this book as my first book of the year, and I had to stop reading last night.  I really wasn't into it.   

***********
I finished these FOUR books the last three weeks.  

THE FORGOTTEN ROOM by Karen White, Beatriz Williams, and Lauren Willig.


This book was wonderful.  

Three women with a connection. We find out about each woman in alternating chapters that range from 1842 to 1944. 

These three fantastic authors worked well together and wrote a fantastic book.    

My review will go live on my blog on January 27, 2016. 
 ***********

THE THINGS WE KEEP by Sally Hepworth:


Review will be on my blog on January 19, 2016.
***********

THE VIOLINIST OF VENICE by Alyssa Palombo:


The book is as beautiful as the cover.
 ***********

THE READERS OF THE BROKEN WHEEL RECOMMEND by Katarina Bivald.

 

I loved it.  It is a cute read that is set in a small town that doesn't have a book store and needs one.

This got so much BUZZ at the BEA this past spring.  

A publicist said this book is a #1 Indie Next Great Read for January.

My review will be on my blog on January 7, 2016 

 ******************







7 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!!

    How is the book you are reading?

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,

    I was really entranced by those opening lines, however after checking out the full symopsis, I can see why you might have found this one a bit heavy going, definitely not one to relax you to sleep!

    Are you going to try again, or is this officially a DNF?

    Not one for me definitely!

    I hope that 2016 is a good year for you. Very Best Wishes :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it is going to be a DNF....sad that it is my first choice of the year.

      I hope the rest of the year doesn't go that route.

      Thanks, Yvonne. I hope your year is wonderful as well.

      Thanks for stopping. I always love seeing your comments.

      Delete
  3. Oh, shoot! I didn't do my Book Beginnings. Thanks for the reminder. Off to do that now. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome!!

      Looking forward to seeing your post.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  4. A first line should draw the reader in and this one certainly does. My Friday Quotes, please take a look. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did draw me in, but the art and the politics didn't keep me going. :)

      The book was well written, but just not my cup of tea.

      Thanks for stopping, Anne.

      Delete