Friday, January 8, 2016

Book Beginnings - 1/8/16


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.
 ***************
My book beginnings is taken from IN ANOTHER LIFE by Julie Christine Johnson:

"Eighteen months after her husband's death, Lia Carrer returned to Languedoc like a shadow in search of light.  From inside the airport terminal's glass atrium, the gray blanket over Paris looked no different from the Seattle sky she'd left behind. 

Beautiful writing, and a wonderful debut novel.

Isn't that cover gorgeous? 

It will be reviewed on my blog on February 22, 2016.
***********
I finished this book a week or so ago:

THE FORGOTTEN ROOM by Karen White, Beatriz Williams, and Lauren Willig.


This book was wonderful.  

Three women with a connection. We find out about each woman in alternating chapters that range from 1842 to 1944. 

These three fantastic authors worked well together and wrote a fantastic book.    

My review will go live on my blog on January 27, 2016. 

 ******************

17 comments:

  1. The book goes back and forth from present day to 1208.

    Beautiful writing!!

    Thanks for stopping, and have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both those covers, Elizabeth! The first one makes me think of the 1920's (for whatever reason) and the second gives me 'fairy castle'. Looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Forgotten Room was FANTASTIC!!

      In Another Life is good and I am learning about The Cathars. The book has love, mystery, murder, and history all rolled into one. :)

      Thanks for stopping, LuAnn.

      Delete
  3. In Another Life looks very tempting...great cover, too. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is pretty good. The ending is getting good. :)

    It has time travel, but I am enjoying the book.

    Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, like the cover. The beginning sounds nice. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am almost done.

      The books is good. Great for a debut novel.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  6. Both of these books look wonderful. I love "... like a shadow in search of light." I'm looking forward to reading them both.
    My Friday post features THE TIME IN BETWEEN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are good, but The Forgotten Room is my favorite.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  7. Both books you feature look gorgeous! I have The Forgotten Room on my TBR but had missed In Another Life. I'll have to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both are good.

      In Another Life has some time travel.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  8. Both look gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love covers. :)

      And...both were good.

      Thanks for stopping, Bev.

      Delete
  9. I think I would pick this book up just because of that cover <3

    Our BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....I am a cover lover. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Fiza.

      Delete
  10. Hi Elizabeth,

    'In Another Life' is already on my Goodreads 'Want To Read' list, as it has appeared on not only your own, but several other blogs and has received some excellent ratings and reviews. In fact, I just thought to check for availability on NetGalley and there it is ... So I have put in my request for a review copy :)

    Returning to a place where you lost a loved one, must be quite an emotionally difficult time, so those first lines are poignant.

    Thanks for sharing and have a good week :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, Yvonne. I finished it the other day.

      It goes back to the year 1208.

      Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      Delete