Friday, February 5, 2016

Book Beginnings - 2/5/16


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.
 ***************

My book beginnings is taken from THE RAILWAYMAN'S WIFE by Ashley Hay:

 

"She sits, her legs folded beneath her.  The fingers of one hand grace the upholstery's pattern while the other hand holds the pages of the book.

It could be any day, any year:  call it 1935, 1938, 1945, or somewhere decades away in her future." 

Sounds good doesn't it?   The publisher said the book is flying off of her shelves. 
***********
These books were finished the last two weeks:

I finished this book Wednesday night, January 27, at 1:30 a.m. - I couldn't put it down.   :)  

Review is in the book's title.

 

MISSING PIECES was a guess-right-until-the-end mystery.
 ***********
I finished FLIGHT OF DREAMS Thursday evening, February 4. 
A well-researched and cleverly carried out book about the Hindenburg.

 

 My review will be on my blog and other reading sites on February 23.

 ******************


17 comments:

  1. I love the cover on The Railwayman's Wife. So pretty. Guess you really liked Missing Pieces - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like it.....pretty obvious, huh?

      The cover is gorgeous.

      Thanks for stopping, Kay.

      Delete
  2. Great beginning to The Railway Man's Wife! And I loved Missing Pieces, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good...I started the book last night.

      It is an e-book, and I prefer print, but I wanted to read the book so I took the e-book.

      I tend to forget about e-books and then they expire.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to The Railwayman's Wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good so far. I am on page 40 or so.

      Thanks for stopping, Nise.

      Delete
  4. Hi - I look forward to your review of Missing Pieces. The book looks great. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the beginning to The Railwayman's Wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good....a good women's fiction book.

      Thanks for stopping, Samantha.

      Delete
  6. The Railwayman's Wife does sound good! Straight on my TBR :)
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good.

      I am not sure where I am page wise because it is an e-book.

      Thanks for stopping, Cora Linn.

      Delete
  7. Hi Elizabeth,

    I have added The Railwayman's Wife to my list, after reading your opening lines and tying that together with the full synopsis.

    I have read books written by one or two Australian authors before and thoroughly enjoyed the sense of time and place in their storytelling and this one sounds really good!

    You must know by now, just how much I enjoy my thrillers, so 'Missing Pieces' is another one heading straight for my reading list :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is her debut novel.

      It is good so far.

      You will love Missing Pieces.

      Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      Delete
  8. After reading your book beginnings contribution this week, I think that The Railwayman's Wife sounds interesting. I hope you are enjoying it.
    I'm also really interested in Flight of Dreams as well. Looking forward to reading your review on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flight of Dreams was well done.

      The Railwayman's Wife is good.

      Thanks for stopping, Melissa.

      Delete
  9. This looks like a good one. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete