Friday, March 25, 2016

Book Beginnings - 3/25/16


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.
 ***************

My book beginnings is taken from STARS OVER SUNSET BOULEVARD by Susan Meissner:

"A brilliant California sun bathed Violet Mayfield in indulgent light as she neared the soaring palm tree and the woman seated on a bench underneath it.  Legs crossed at the ankles, the woman rested her back lazily against the skinny trunk."
 

 
**********
I finished these books the last two weeks:

SISTER DEAR by Laura McNeill:


This book had me on the edge of my seat.  

A definite thriller with family drama and a sister I would not want to be my sister.
 **********
THE SECRETS OF FLIGHT by Maggie Leffler

Loved it.

A marvelous debut

Loved the characters...wonderful description.

The only thing I had difficult with was getting the gist of the story at the beginning, but after that I couldn't put it down.

My review will be up on April 26. 

I am out of town until Monday...I will try to visit then.

Happy Easter!!
 ******************

15 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful weekend.

    I will be here off and on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your weekend! I am intrigued by Sister Dear...want to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love Sister Dear, Laurel.

      I hope you get to read it.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  3. Vert descriptive, I feel like I'm under the Palm tree. Wish I was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is good.

      I am enjoying the read.

      Thanks for stopping, Heather.

      Delete
  4. All three look good - I'll look for your reviews. Happy Easter, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two I finished were both really good.

      Stars Over Sunset Boulevard is good too.

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete
  5. All these books look really good. Fortunately I have two sisters who are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three sisters, and they all are wonderful.

      Thanks for stopping, Anne.

      Delete
  6. Three intriguing books. I've seen one of them on the blogs but the others are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      The two I read were wonderful.

      The book I am reading is good too.

      Delete
  7. Hey there! This is Audra from http://thereedinglibrarian.wix.com/blog. Just wanted to let you know I fixed the comment box so you should be able to comment now. Thanks for the heads up! I had no clue it wasn't working.

    I'm adding Sister Dear to my to-read list now and can't wait to read your review on The Secrets of Flight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audra.

      I hope others fix their sites too.

      You will love both books.

      Thanks for stopping, Audra.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you have a lot of great reads going on. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....I enjoyed my books.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete