Friday, April 1, 2016

Book Beginnings - 4/1/16


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.
 ***************
My book beginnings is taken from BRITT-MARIE WAS HERE by Fredrik Backman:

 

"Forks, Knives, Spoons.  

In that order.  

Britt-Marie is certainly not the kind of person who judges other people.  Far from it.  

But surely no civilized person would even think of arranging a cutlery drawer in a different way from how cutlery drawers are supposed to be arranged."

I am loving this book even after reading these few short lines.

It sounds like it will be a fun, wonderful read.

What do you think?
**********
I finished these books the last two weeks: 

STARS OVER SUNSET BOULEVARD by Susan Meissner

A lovely, heartwarming book about friendship that started on the filming stages of Gone With The Wind.

My review will be up on April 8.
 **********

SISTER DEAR by Laura McNeill:


This book had me on the edge of my seat.  

A definite thriller with family drama and a sister I would not want to be my sister.

My review will be up on May 16.

 ******************

27 comments:

  1. Britt-Marie Was Here is a cute read.

    I have read about 50 pages so far.

    Love the character.

    I hope you are having a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And my immediate thought was - hey, that's how I organize my silverware drawer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....mine is knives, forks, spoons.

      Thanks for stopping, Carol.

      Delete
  3. This book is on my TBR. It sounds really wonderful and it's an author I've been wanting to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an enjoyable read so far.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  4. Great excerpt! I am eager to read Britt-Marie Was Here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you will enjoy the book, Laurel.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  5. I'm looking forward to reading Britt-Marie Was Here. I loved the author's A Man Called Ove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I unfortunately did not get to read A Man Called Ove.

      It is as good as Britt-Marie is, I need to read it.

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It is, and I think it will continue that way.

      Very enjoyable.

      Thanks for stopping, Heather.

      Delete
  7. A short but lively beginning. I can almost see her making a big deal out of the way the utensils are organized. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britt-Marie is like about everything. :)

      And adorable character.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  8. LOL Had me wondering if my drawers were proper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure mine are.

      She is a cleaning nut as you can tell.

      Thanks for stopping fredamans.

      Delete
  9. I love Gone with the Wind and had no idea Stars Over Sunset Boulevard centered around it. Another book to add to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on the filming stages.

      It is more about friendships, but Gone With The Wind is the background.

      Thanks for stopping, Whitney.

      Delete
  10. Elizabeth, like Freda, you have me wondering now: what is the proper way to arrange a cutlery drawer? (I will need to Google it.) Sounds like a fun book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I need to find out too.

      Mine is not in the right order. :)

      It is fun...Britt Marie is definitely a character. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Suko.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I am guessing OCD. :)

      She does a lot of other things about cleaning too. :)

      Thanks for stopping, guiltless reader.

      Delete
  12. I like the beginning of this - does sound like a fun book! Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cute.

      Thanks for stopping, Maria.

      Delete
  13. Backman is an author I have on my want to read list, and now another title by him. My cutlery is arranged wrong, I did not know that, so sad. Spoons, forks, knives is wrong. Now I want to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....mine is arranged incorrectly too. :)

      I am enjoying the read.

      Thanks for stopping, Terra.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad you featured Britt Marie- that reminds me to put it on my library wishlist! And yeah, my cutlery is arranged wrong too :)
    STARS and SISTER sound like must-reads. Thanks for putting these on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a fun read. I think you will enjoy Britt-Marie when you read it.

      Both STARS and SISTER are MUST reads.

      ENJOY when you read.

      Thanks for stopping, readingdate.

      Delete