Friday, May 27, 2016

Book Beginnings - 5/27/16

 

*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.
 ***************
My book beginnings is taken from THE GIRLS IN THE GARDEN by Lisa Jewell:


"Pip stands behind her mother in the tiny bathroom.  She's not sure what to do.  She's never seen her mother being sick before. "Urgh, God, Pip.  I'm so sorry.  I am so sorry."  That's okay, Mum."  Pip tentatively touches her mother's head, and strokes her fine blond hair just once."

I have just read a few pages, so I don't have any opinion.  I did enjoy Ms. Jewell's book, THE HOUSE WE GREW UP IN.
**********
I finished these books the last three weeks:

FLIGHT PATTERNS by Karen White:



Absolutely LOVED this book.  

Review will be on my blog on June 3.
**********
A CERTAIN AGE by Beatriz Williams:

 

Another lovely novel by Beatriz Williams.  It was difficult to get connected, but the ending was worth the wait.

Review will be on June 28.
 ******************



12 comments:

  1. ENJOY your long weekend!!

    Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved The House We Grew Up In...and have The Girls in the Garden, ready to begin. Next week, perhaps?

    Here's mine for today: “THE BLUE BATH”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read 50 pages so far of The Girls in the Garden. Pretty good...a bit odd.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  3. I have no idea where The Girls in the Garden is Going from that beginning. Is mom pregnant or dying? Could go either way . . . . Love the cover though! I'd read on.

    Thanks for playing along on BBOF, even though I didn't have a Mr. Linky this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found out either and I am 50 pages in. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Gilion.

      No worries about the linky.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm. Two thoughts come to mind with my first thought being is Pip's mom pregnant? Second thought and possibly more likely, it that she's seriously ill which would be sad.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought pregnant, but haven't found out yet.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  5. That makes me want to know what's going on. :)
    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting...haven't found out yet.

      Thanks for stopping, Lauren.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this book's beginning! I want to know why the mom is sick.

    Have a terrific long weekend, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will find out shortly, but won't tell if it is a spoiler. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Suko.

      Delete
  7. That's an intriguing beginning. Sure to get better knowing Jewell!

    ReplyDelete