Friday, May 6, 2016

Book Beginnings - 5/6/16

 

*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.
 ***************
My book beginnings is taken from A CERTAIN AGE by Beatriz Williams:

 
"During the night, I dream that my husband arrives unexpectedly from Manhattan, in a plume of sultry exhaust from the engine of his Buick Battistini speedster, and let me tell you, the intrusion is most unwelcome."
**********
I finished these books the last three weeks:

THE CURIOUS CHARMS OF ARTHUR PEPPER by Phaedra Patrick:

 

Review is in the book's title.
LOVED this book.
********** 
SO CLOSE TO HOME by Michael J. Tougias and Alison O'Leary:


Review is in the book's title.
********** 
THE BLUE BATH by Mary Waters-Sayer:


Review and Giveaway will be May 9.
 **********
I LET YOU GO by Claire MacKintosh:

A chilling read.

Take a look at this post for more information about the book.
 
Review will be May 10.
**********
WILDE LAKE by Laura Lippman:



Review is in the book's title.
 ******************




17 comments:

  1. I hope you had a terrific reading week.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week, I downloaded The Blue Bath, I Let You Go, and Wilde Lake!

    I love the cover on A Certain Age...and the excerpt. Here's mine: “THE OTHER TYPIST”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED The Other Typist.

      Great on your downloads. You will love them.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  3. Great opening! And a wonderful cover, too.

    You've been getting a lot of reading done! Wish I could say the same. Hope you enjoy all your reads this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I have surprised myself with all the reading too. :)

      Thanks for stopping, JLS Hall.

      Delete
  4. Hi Elizabeth! I'd want "A Certain Age" and "The Blue Bath" just from looking at the covers! My daughter would want "Curious Charms" because Big Ben is on the cover.

    Secondly, I need to read "I Let You Go" because I want to know about the SHOCKING TWIST in the middle! *lol*

    Here's my Book Beginnings. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read all of them, LuAnn. :)

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  5. This beginning made me laugh. I thought he may be most welcome. Instead, he was not. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good you laughed.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  6. That's a great beginning! I'm going to add this to my TBR, thanks for sharing! Looks like you read so really good books this week! I want to read I Let You Go. I'm on a LONG waitlist at the library for it. I might end up just buying it. I'm not the most patient person, lol. Hope you are enjoying the weekend! Thanks for visiting my blog! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the book soon.

      It is worth the wait if do wait for the library book. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Kim.

      Delete
  7. You always seem to have piles of interesting books :) I hope you're enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I do love the books I have. :)

      I am enjoying them...thanks.

      Thanks for stopping, guiltless reader.

      Delete
  8. Oh, dear - I think I would love the setting of A Certain Age, but I really do not like the simple present tense for storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is good, but not my favorite of hers.

      The present tense isn't bothering me.

      Thanks for stopping, Debbie.

      Delete
  9. I would pick up A Certain Age just for the cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....that cover is GORGEOUS.

      The book isn't bad...got better at the end. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Lauren.

      Delete