Friday, June 17, 2016

Book Beginnings - 6/17/16

 

*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 
 *************** 
My book beginnings is taken from RADIO GIRLS by Sarah-Jane Stratford:


"London 1930...She ran, weaving in and out of the startled pedestrians, but her pursuer was still close on her heels.  All their meticulous planning, all that work in spinning the web and catching all these flies, but they hadn't factored in this possibility:  the chance that the papers in her bag were worth so much that someone would chase after her to get them back."

I have only read a few pages and am enjoying the book.  Love this era. 


**********
I finished these books the last three weeks: 

THE MEMORY OF LEMON by Judith Fertig



Review will be on June 23.
**********
LIAR, LIAR by M. J. Arlidge

Excellent thriller.  I never read a book by this author...loved the book.  

Review will be on June 21.

**********
A CERTAIN AGE by Beatriz Williams:

 

Another lovely novel by Beatriz Williams.  It was difficult to get connected, but the ending was worth the wait.

Review will be on June 28.
 ******************

13 comments:

  1. Happy Reading and Happy Weekend!!

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover and the teaser. It definitely makes me curious about just what is in those papers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is good.

      Great teaser for sure.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  3. Interesting books and all new to me. I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful!!

      I hope you find one you like.

      Thanks for stopping, BookPlease.

      Delete
  4. Radio Girls has piqued my curiosity...also, I'm eager to learn more about Liar Liar. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liar Liar was VERY good.

      I know you will love it, and I know you will love Radio Girls because of the time period.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  5. I'm certainly going to add Radio Girls to my tbr! :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love that era, it will be enjoyable for you.

      Thanks for stopping, Lsuren.

      Delete
  6. Isn't it funny how the first few sentences can really draw you into a book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes.

      I love it when the beginning grabs you.

      Thanks for stopping, Marja.

      Delete
  7. Hope you enjoy Radio Girls. Looks like one I'd love to read. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete