Friday, August 12, 2016

Book Beginnings - 8/12/16

 
*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 
 *************** 
My book beginnings is taken from A DEADLY AFFECTION by Cuyler Overholt:

 

"The first Sunday of 1907 was so bitterly cold that icicles were hanging from the watering trough spouts in front of Mr. Fuller's house, and the sanitation men had resorted to chipping, rather than scooping, the manure from the street.  I barely felt the chill, however, as I walked east across town, warmed by long-simmering anticipation."
**********
Books finished last three weeks:

WATCHING EDIE by Camilla Way


BEHIND CLOSED DOORS by B. A. Paris

 

THE HOUSE BETWEEN TIDES by Sarah Maine


 ******************

8 comments:

  1. Happy Friday!!

    Hope you had a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting excerpt....hope you are loving this book.

    I just downloaded Behind Closed Doors...I'm excited about it.

    Here's my Friday post: “THE TRUTH-TELLER’S LIE”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way the author establishes the setting. I'd definitely keep reading to find out what the character is anticipating.
    My Friday post features THE REAL MOTHER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a bad read. I haven't been reading much, though. I am visiting my sister.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  4. That little bit you quoted might very well make a good promotion for the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First lines are usually pretty good aren't they?

      Thanks for stopping, David.

      Delete
  5. I loved The House Between Tides. So very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite good.

      Thank you, Mystica.

      Delete