Friday, September 9, 2016

Book Beginnings - 9/9/16

 
*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 
 *************** 
My book beginnings is taken from THE VELVET HOURS by Alyson Richman:

 
"Outside I could hear the sound of airplanes, and their rumble filled me with unease.  The only thing worse would be the wail of a bomb siren.  I bit my lip and hurried to grab  my bag."
**********
Books finished the last two weeks:

NEWS OF THE WORLD by Paulette Jiles:



Captain Kidd travels around the country reading the news while he is transporting a ten-year old girl that had been captured by the Indians and then returned. 

I enjoyed the book.  

Love the descriptions of the undeveloped country but happy I didn't live back then.  

Review on October 6.
 ******************
KAROLINA'S TWINS by Ronald H. Balson

Wonderful story line despite the WWII situations. 

Review is in the book's title.

 ******************

LETTERS FROM PARIS by Juliet Blackwell
 
I really enjoyed LETTERS FROM PARIS.  
Review will be on September 20.
 ******************

THE CONFECTIONER'S TALE by Laura Madeleine

Really enjoyed the book - especially the ending. 

Review will be on September 22.
 ******************







7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what you everyone is reading.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the books in your post appeal to me. I especially like the opening and cover from The Velvet Hours. I want to know what happens next.
    My Friday post features CHESTNUT STREET by Maeve Binchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Velvet Hours is pretty good. I am about one-third of the way through.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  3. These all look very tempting. Thanks for sharing, and enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all were and are very good.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  4. The Velvet Hours sounds very good. I did read Karolina's Twins though I found the story questionable, the descriptions were really very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Velvet Hours was very good.

      Karolina's Twins may have been a bit questionable, but I really liked it.

      Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      Delete