Friday, October 28, 2016

Book Beginnings - 10/28/16

 
*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 
 ***************
My book beginnings is taken from STOLEN BEAUTY by Laurie Lico Albanese:


"I was a love-struck newlywed when Hitler came to Austria.  Outside, the Ringstrasse was streaming with cars, trams, and pedestrians in belted trench coasts.  Inside, we were waltzing and drinking French champagne."
********** 
Books finished the last three weeks:

TWO DAYS GONE by Randall Silvis

Excellent mystery.

Review will be on January 10, 2017. 


 ******************
STALKED by Elizabeth Heiter

Review will be on December 27.

Another good mystery by this author. 

******************

12 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth! Stolen Beauty sounds as if it concerns the Woman in gold! Going to check it out right now. Hope you will have a good weekend! Here's my Friday Meets: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/10/friday-meets-28-october-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished it last night.

      It wasn't a favorite, but the writing is superb.

      Too much art stuff that I have no knowledge of, but I did learn.

      Thanks for stopping, Mareli.

      Delete
  2. Love the first sentence of Stolen Beauty and I was left with...I want more. That's the best any first sentence can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, but since I am not an art person, it was difficult to follow at times.

      I liked the WWII sections better, and liked the character better in that part.

      Thanks for stopping, Em-Musing.

      Delete
  3. Great opener! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE RED CAR”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be reading Stolen Beauty - hope we love it! I'm impressed with how far ahead you are with book reviews :) My reading has slowed lately. I like the books but don't feel any of them can't be put down for a day or two.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stolen Beauty was finished last night. Fabulous writing.

      That's why I like to read ahead in case I get in the slump I was in. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete
  5. I am continually amazed how many books are still be published about Hitler and WWII. I hope you like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....how many can be written and all different.

      Thanks for stopping, Anne.

      Delete
  6. It's not a time I would have wanted to fall in love. Would like to read it and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed...not a good time in history.

      I liked the WWII story better than the earlier story. Too much art, but I learned.

      Thanks for stopping, Tea Norman.

      Delete