Friday, October 7, 2016

Book Beginnings - 10/7/16

 
*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 
 *************** 
My book beginnings is taken from THE GIRL IN THE CASTLE by Santa Montefiore:

 

"The two little boys with grubby faces and scuffed knees reached the rusted iron gate by way of a barely distinguishable track that branched off the main road and cut through the forest in a sleepy curve."  

I am still reading this book...it has been a crazy, busy week.  I hope I get to continue reading soon.
********** 
Books finished the last two weeks:

TAHOE DARK by Todd Borg

Love Mr. Borg's books.

Review is in the book's title.  

******************
THE VELVET HOURS by Alyson Richman

Loved the book.

Review is in the book's title.  


 ******************
NEWS OF THE WORLD by Paulette Jiles:



Captain Kidd travels around the country reading the news while he is transporting a ten-year old girl that had been captured by the Indians and then returned. 

I enjoyed the book.

Love the descriptions of the undeveloped country but happy I didn't live back then.  

Review is in the book's title.
 ******************

LETTERS FROM PARIS by Juliet Blackwell
 
I really enjoyed LETTERS FROM PARIS.  
Review is in the book's title.
 ******************

THE CONFECTIONER'S TALE by Laura Madeleine

Really enjoyed the book - especially the ending. 

Review is in the book's title.
 ****************** 
STALKED by Elizabeth Heiter

Review will be on December 27.

Another good mystery by this author. 


******************




15 comments:

  1. Happy Friday!!

    Happy Reading!!

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Stalked book looks really good to me. Have a great weekend, Elizabeth.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good mystery.

      Thanks for stopping, Sherry.

      Delete
  3. The opening lines paint a lovely picture. I am intrigued.

    I am also still eyeing Stalked.


    Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “A MAP OF THE WORLD”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both are good.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  4. I just finished this one and really enjoyed it though be warned - it's the start of a trilogy not a stand alone. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh..thanks for the info about the trilogy.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  5. LOVE the description of the boys in the opening of The Girl in the Castle. I've read another book by this author and enjoyed it. This sounds like another great story.
    My Friday post features The Songbird’s Call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good read.

      Thanks for stopping, Sandra.

      Delete
  6. The Girl in the Castle sounds good - I like the beginning. I also want to read The Velvet Hours and The Confectioner's Tale. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am almost done with The Girl in the Castle. I am enjoying the family saga.

      I hope you get to read The Velvet Hours and The Confectioner's Tale.

      Thanks for stopping, Maria.

      Delete
  7. Elizabeth, the opening sentence is descriptive! Have a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book gets better as I turn each page. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Suko.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It was excellent.

      I reviewed it today.

      Thanks for stopping, Lauren.

      Delete