Friday, May 19, 2017

Book Beginnings - 5/19/2017

 
*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 
 ***************
My book beginnings is taken from YOU'LL NEVER KNOW, DEAR by Hallie Ephron:



"Elisabeth Strenger peeled three boiled eggs under running water, dropped them into a chipped Blue Willow china bowl, and began to mash them with a fork. She took a quick puff on her cigarette, blew smoke out through the back window, and tapped ashes in to the drain."

This book is a mystery even though this beginning doesn't indicate such.  :)
********** 

Books Finished:
 BEFORE THE RAIN FALLS by Camille Di Maio

I found this book on Suzy Approved Book Reviews - so glad I did.  It was a beautiful, mesmerizing book with wonderful characters.

Review is in the book's title.
**********
COCOA BEACH by Beatriz Williams


Review will be on June 27.

******************



16 comments:

  1. I hope everyone had a wonderful reading week.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED Before The Rain Falls if you can't tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked YOU'LL NEVER KNOW DEAR a lot. I fully intend to read other books by Hallie Ephron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually finished it late last night but didn't feel like changing my post. :)

      It was good.

      Thanks for stopping, Kay.

      Delete
  4. If I have already commented on Camille di Maio I apologize. But I am seeing her everywhere. I definitely intend to get my hands on at least one of her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries about repeating a comment. :)

      Chatting about books means lots of comments will happen.

      LOVED the book. I hope you get to read it.

      Thanks for stopping, The Book Sage.

      Delete
  5. So glad you enjoyed the book and that we connected! Enjoy the weekend and your current read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved it!!

      And...YES...very happy we connected and I saw that book.

      Thanks for stopping, Suzy.

      Delete
  6. I'm eager to get a copy of You'll Never Know, Dear. Love Hallie Ephron's books. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good, Laurel.

      Loved the ending...you will too. :)

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  7. You had a great reading week. I love giving books away but It can get overwhelming. That's why I like ebooks so much more...no giveaway issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...my reading weeks have been very good lately.

      It is difficult to give away books.

      Thanks for stopping, Patty.

      Delete
  8. The title and cover of "You'll Never Know Dear" really caught my eye! The title is in the song "You are my Sunshine" (but I'm sure you already knew that), and that was the song my dad sang to my mom for as long as I can remember. Plus, my mom was a doll collector.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet that your father sang that to your mom.

      My mom was doll collector too. :)

      I remember her fixing them and all of her tools of the trade spread out on the work table. Mom even took doll classes. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Vicki.

      Delete