Friday, August 18, 2017

Book Beginnings - 8/18/2017

 
*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 
 ***************
My book beginnings is taken from GLASS HOUSES by Louise Penny:
"State your name, please." 
"Armand Gamache."
"And you are the head of the Surete du Quebec?"
"The Chief Superintendent, oui."
"Gamache sat upright on the wooden chair.  It was hot.  Sweltering, really on this July morning.  He could taste perspiration from his upper lip and it was only just ten o'clock.  It was only just starting."
********** 
Books Finished:

THE SPACE BETWEEN WORDS by Michele Phoenix.

Review will be on September 5.

A well-researched historical fiction book.

 ********** 
AT WAVE'S END by Patricia Perry Donovan - review is in the book's title.

A LOVELY read.

 ********** 
EMMA IN THE NIGHT by Wendy Walker.


A disturbing, psychological thriller.  Review is in the book's title.
******************

19 comments:

  1. What are you reading?

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth!

    I've only ever read one of Penny's books with Armand Gamache in it, and enjoyed it. I never realised she'd written so many with him in.

    I've got Emma in the Night to read,too. Hope you like it!

    Here's my choice for this week:
    http://bit.ly/2vISu3P

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Luv Sass
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...she has written many books. I love the fictitious town of Three Pines.

      Emma in the Night was good but different. Will be looking forward to see what you think.

      Thanks for commenting, Sassy Brit.

      Delete
  3. I like that beginning. I'll need to find a copy of the book to learn more. I'm reading White Hot by Ilona Andrews this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has many books, Kathy. This one is her newest.

      I hope you find you like her books.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. I too have read just a single book of hers. This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy her books.

      We actually visited Quebec City and went on a Louise Penny tour. :)

      Thanks for commenting, Mystica.

      Delete
  5. I imagine he is testifying in court? It brings back memories to when I've had to take the stand because of my job. Fortunately, the courthouses I've been to are nicely air conditioned. I need to read more by Louise Penny. The one book I've read by her I loved.

    Thank you for sharing, Elizabeth! I hope you have a great weekend. I'll be over to read your book blogger hop response soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...her books are always good. Very detailed and interesting.

      Thanks for commenting, Literary Feline.

      Delete
  6. I've only read the first two books in the Gamache series, but loved them. I've been meaning to read more. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “HERE & GONE”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are good.

      Thanks for commenting, Laurel.

      Delete
  7. A lot of readers are looking forward to the new Louise Penny book. I've still only read the first one (really liked it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is very good.

      I LOVE the cover.

      Thanks for commenting, Mary.

      Delete
  8. Is the officer in courtroom or where is he that he is sweating so much? I guess I'd read on to find out. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sweating because they don't have central air, and they don't want to turn on the window units because they make too much distracting noise for the court room.

      Thanks for commenting, Anne.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read these books, or anything by Louise Penny. I'd like to--excellent opening!

    Elizabeth, I am taking a short, summer blogging break. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ENJOY your break, Suko.

      Oh yes...Louise Penny's books are always wonderful.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  10. I haven't read a Louise Penny's book in ages. Time to look at the list again.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you take a look again.

      Thanks for commenting, Ann.

      Delete