Friday, September 5, 2014

Book Beginnings - 9/5/14


*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page.


This week's book beginnings is from FLIGHT OF THE SPARROW by Amy Belding Brown.

"Later, Mary will trace the first signs of the Lord's displeasure back to a hot July morning in 1672 when she pauses on her way to the barn to watch the sun rise burnt orange over the meetinghouse.  She feels a momentary sinking in her bowels as it flashes like fire through a damp haze, putting her mind in the terrors of hell."
I am on page 66.  It is an account of how folks had to live in Early America.  It is pretty good.

*****************
Books finished but can't keep to myself. 

THE WINTER GUEST by Pam Jenoff
 
THE WINTER GUEST is another WWII story beautifully told by Ms. Jenoff.

I love Pam Jenoff's books.  If you haven't read any of her books, you should look into them.  

This book was wonderful as well.  Review in the book's title.

 *****************
THE WISHING TIDE by Barbara Davis


Loved, Loved, Loved this book.

Review is in the book's title.

*****************


Another book I loved.

Review is in the book's title. 
 
 *****************
What are you reading that you can't keep to yourself?  :)

*****************




19 comments:

  1. I was reading Neverhome last week. Couldn't get into it so I started Flight of the Sparrow.

    ENJOY your weekend of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all look good...thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were fantastic.

    Thanks for stopping back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished reading The Kite Runner; it was beautiful! I sobbed uncontrollably to say the least.

    Elizabeth, I really love your selection in books and trust your honest feedback in your reviews :) I'm going to look into Flight of the Sparrow. I love anything that has the word "sparrow" in it ;) have a wonderful weekend!

    Sparrow's BB & The Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the Kite Runner too.

    Thank you for the nice compliments about my reviews. Very much appreciated.

    LOL on the word sparrow...wonder why? :)

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a terrific historical novel! Here's my Friday Memes Post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have the books with the best covers! I'm not so sure about this week's book but The Winter Guest and The Wishing Tide are on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elizabeth,

    Okay! So I cheated a little with 'Flight Of The Sparrow'. I was so intrigued by those amazing opening lines, that I checked out the full synopsis.

    I was so on the point of adding both this one and the author's other historical fiction novel to my 'Want To Read List'.

    Then I noticed another book accredited to Amy, called 'Strawberry Lace', which has a much more contemporary and erotic sounding storyline and that kind of killed it for me, as I am now not too sure about the tone and style of her writing.

    The other three books you feature, are already on my TBR list, so I shall check out the reviews closer to the time of reading.

    Thanks for an interesting post and I hope that you enjoy your weekend,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely covers.

    You asked about the book Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It was originally published in Spanish in 1999. It was published in England in 2013 and the USA in 2014.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Anne.

    I love his books. Have you read Shadow of the Wind?

    Thanks for the answer and for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Yvonne.

    Flight of the Sparrow is a sad book. I can see why you don't want to give it a try. It is good, but sad.

    Thanks as always for your wonderful comments.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping, fredamans.

    It is good, very historical, but also sad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is very historical, Bev.

    It is Early America which I normally do not read about.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love covers, Katherine. :)

    Both The Winter Guest and The Wishing Tide are must reads.

    I know you will like them.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Flight of the Sparrow sounds really good. I love historical fiction.
    Sandy @ Texas Twang

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is Early America, Sandra.

    I haven't read too many books in that era.

    Thanks for stopping. I am sure you will like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm planning to read and review The Mill River books. They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to read Recluse.

    I loved, loved, loved The Mill River Redemption as you can tell.

    Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete