Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford



Oai deki te ureshii desu ....How are you today, beautiful?

That quote from the book says it all....what an incredible, heartfelt, interesting story...this book is set during during World War II and is about the childhood love of a Japanese girl and a Chinese boy during World War II and takes place specifically during the encampment of the Japanese people who lived in Seattle, Washington...it will keep your interest and teach you some history...I learned about The Panama Hotel in Seattle, Washington.

It also is about the conflict between Henry and his Chinese father and the beauty of friendships...it also has some music facts in it for all you jazz fans.

I don't want to give too much away, but it is a nostalgic book and one you will want to tell others about....it is similar to Snow Falling on Cedars.

You will absolutely enjoy it and love it. I loved the story and the lessons learned.

2 comments:

  1. WWII has been especially interesting to me over the years, since I was born during that war (yes, giving away my age here!); and also because there was an encampment next door to my grandmother's farm in Central California ....I used to stare through the window at the barbed wire fences. Moments that informed my life, perhaps.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU for commenting, Laurel.

      Interesting information...thanks.

      Delete