Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank

 
Ok all you wonderful ladies who stayed home and took care of a husband and your kids....you will love this book.  It is simply delightful, just like the author whom I had the pleasure of meeting.

Leslie Carter was a stay-at-home wife/mother who pinched pennies all her life and was starting to wonder why she did.  She was tired of being unappreciated and taken for granted especially when she accidentally found a bank statement her husband, Wesley, never allowed her to see that had a balance of 22 million dollars.  Yes....22 million....she couldn't believe it.

Leslie decided she needed a vacation from Wesley to cool off.  First from the accident she had in Edinburgh which Wesley was so indifferent about and now all this secret money.  She knew the best place to go was her brother's in Charleston, their childhood city.  Leslie found more than she expected once she arrived.

You will love Leslie for how genuine she is, how believable she is, and how brave she is to finally do something to make herself happy.  And....you definitely will dislike Wesley as well as their two children because of their selfishness and disregard for anyone but themselves.

The book has great descriptions both of the characters and the landscapes of the Lowcountry.  It is a sweet, homey read and will make you think about your family and your relationships in a new light or simply  make you happy or unhappy about where you are in your own life.  It will have you doing some introspection as well as having a good laugh.  The ending is awesome.

I truly enjoyed this book. This is the second book of Ms. Benton Frank's that I have read, and I am very happy with both of them. The content makes me want to read all of her books.

I received this book without compensation and free of charge from the publisher in return for an honest review.

16 comments:

  1. I just finished this last night and really enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this one...I've requested it from the library, but so far haven't received it. I may have to buy it! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks wonderful. Putting on my TBR list right now.

    Kendal

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS, Laurel-Rain Snow.

    You will love it, Kendal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds exciting and fun.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my site, Elizabeth. I always enjoy your posts.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good. I took care of husband and children. The children grew up, and husband dumped me. I'm better off without him. But if he'd had 22 million, I would have made sure I received my half.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure I would enjoy this so I have put it into my TBR list. The only one by this author that I have read is Bull's Island and I liked that, so I should really get reading books and not blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen this book mentioned a lot. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book has caught my interest. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review!! I'm adding it to my TBR list!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you have a chance to read her other books - I'm sure you'll enjoy them just as much as you did this one!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds fab. I think I'd kick butt, though, if I found out that my husband had been keeping so much money from me while I'm clipping coupons and pinching pennies!

    ReplyDelete