Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Wife, The Maid, And The Mistress by Ariel Lawhon

Who would have thought that being a maid could be this dangerous?  Maria never would have guessed that.
              
Maria cleaned for Judge Joseph Crater who had a mistress and who was involved with gangsters. Then one day Joseph disappeared, and even his wife didn't know where he was. 

Joseph’s wife, Stella, their maid, Maria, and Joseph’s mistress, Ritzi, were characters you will love and feel sorry for.  Stella Crater knew about her husband's mistress, Maria saw the mistress one day when she arrived to clean and was sworn to secrecy, and Ritizi hated what she did.  All three women were tied to Joseph Crater for different reasons and hated him for different reasons.

THE WIFE, THE MAID, AND THE MISTRESS is based on a true incident.  Judge Joseph Crater’s disappearance has never been solved, and his body has never been found.

When I realized THE WIFE, THE MAID, AND THE MISTRESS was based on a true incident, the book pulled me in even more.  The book took you back to a time when showgirls, speakeasies, proper etiquette for ladies, murders, and greasing palms was prevalent.

You will be drawn into the glitz, the glamor, and the corruption of the 1930's and into the lifestyles of the wealthy as well as the working class.

Ritzi was my favorite just because of her guts. Maria was sweet and got drawn into something way out of her league.  Stella was indifferent to life and her marriage.  They all had a common thread and a common interest.

If you like historical fiction and this era, don’t miss THE WIFE, THE MAID, THE MISTRESS.  The surprise ending ties things up nicely.

I am wholeheartedly recommending this book.  Loved it. 5/5


37 comments:

  1. When I first started reading your review I thought it must be based on a true story, it was too crazy to be fiction!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first started reading your review I thought it must be based on a true story, it was too crazy to be fiction!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep bumping into this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this book.

    I hope you get to read it, Cozy In Texas and Emma.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am putting it on my TBR list right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, Debbie....you will love it.

    THANKS for stopping. Be sure to let me know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful review, Elizabeth. I'm eager to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Beth.

    I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just received this book today! I am eager to read it...and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been seeing this one around. It sounds really interesting. I'm going to have to get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like historical fiction and this one sounds very good. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was very good, Nise.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. THANKS for stopping, Irene.

    I hope you get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you get a copy, Susan.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you like it as much as I did, Laurel.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've not heard of this one at all, but it sounds really good, I will look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the second great review I read of this book. It's an era that I'm interested in reading more about. Will look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds quite interesting, I'll have to check that out. Thanks for stopping by on my site. I had to smile at the title because I used to use the expression "I am the wife and she is the mistress" referring to how our ginger cat responded to us. I did all the work (wife) and the cat would grudgingly pay attention to me. She (my daughter) did nothing (the mistress) and the cat would be all over her with an adoring look on his face! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never heard of this book! But I do enjoy historical fiction :D Fantastic review!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not a huge historical fiction reader, but I have seen this book around quite a lot. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your review certainly shows that you enjoyed this one. Thanks for your recent visit to my own blog, appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just started this one so I'm glad to see you loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just started this one so I'm glad to see you loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope you like it as much as I did, stacybuckeye.

    ReplyDelete
  25. THANKS for stopping, Beth. I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope you get to read it, Lindylou.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That means you should read it then if you keep bumping into it, Emma/wordsandpeace. :)

    THANKS for stopping...it is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  28. THANKS for stopping, Cayce.

    I hope you give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I had not heard of this book or this writer. I must add it to my (very long) list of books and authors to be explored.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I hope you get to read it, Dorothy.

    I enjoyed it.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great review, Elizabeth! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Have a fantastic week!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Must be a great read to score full marks! I like a bit of a thriller every now and then. thanks for the review and for stopping by my book review :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I loved this book, Michelle.

    If you like historical fiction and a bit of a mystery, I hope you get to read it.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for stopping, Alyssa.

    I hope you get to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I didn't realize this was based on a true story. Sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  36. It is quite good, Anna.

    THANKS for stopping. I hope you get to read the book.

    ReplyDelete