Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Everything You Want Me to Be by Mindy Mejia

Can you be anyone you want to be depending on the situation? Can you adapt your reactions to what is happening at the moment?

Hattie was always good at reacting the way someone wanted her to react and to being who someone wanted her to be.  She was a very calculating and purposeful person to the point of being frightening.​
            ​
Hattie was two months away from her high school graduation and decided that she was going to leave her Midwestern small town and head to New York.  She had made sketchy plans without telling anyone including her parents, and in the end, the plans didn't work out. 

When Hattie was found brutally ​murdered​ the next day,​ the town was shocked​.  Murders didn't happen in Pine Valley​.

The murder did cause a few folks to worry about their involvement with Hattie.

EVERYTHING YOU WANT ME TO BE has three narrators....Hattie, Peter Lund, and Sheriff Goodman.

Hattie told her story, Peter hoped his story would not be revealed, and Sheriff Goodman had known Hattie and her family for years.  The three narrators worked out beautifully.  One chapter smoothly flowed into the other.

​I really didn't like Hattie.  She was dishonest and cunning.

Peter was definitely dishonest because of his infidelity and didn't uphold his moral obligations as a teacher.

Sheriff Goodman was a perfect, honest policeman.

EVERYTHING YOU WANT ME TO BE was very descriptive, very intense, and had me guessing until the end.  Ms. Mejia has a writing style that is distinctive and creative.​

I really enjoyed this book because the mystery and story line were unique and definitely kept me interested and turning the pages.   

If you enjoy twists and turns and characters that stay with you, you won't want to miss reading EVERYTHING YOU WANT ME TO BE.

The entire book and especially the ending were brilliant!! 5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation in return for an honest review.

18 comments:

  1. Don't miss reading this book if you enjoy psychological thrillers.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer.

      I hope you get to read it.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  3. What a great endorsement! This sounds like a wonderful weekend read; I can never stretch these mysteries out for very long, because I'm always dying to get to the end. Thanks so much for sharing this! (Tara from itstaraleigh.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the review, Tara.

      LOL on not being able to wait until the end.

      I never guessed this one.

      Thanks for stopping, Tara.

      Delete
  4. Wow, this one sounds intense. Love your review! Gives me a good idea of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura.

      It was good.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  5. You've certainly piqued my interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      I hope you get to read this book.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Elizabeth. Terrific review! I've just added a giveaway for this book, hosted by Kristin from Always With a Book, to my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great on the giveaway.

      Some reader will be lucky. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Suko, and thanks for the compliment on my review.

      Delete
  8. I liked that the book had lots of twists and turns, but in the end I didn't think it was very satisfying. Hattie and Peter were both hard to like -- in the end, I'm not sure I cared what happened to either of them :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both were difficult to like. I agree.

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for stopping, Susan.

      Delete
  9. This is the second rave review for this book I read this afternoon. It's on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy the book.

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete
  10. I like the twists and turns myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twists and turns are good.

      Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      Delete