Tuesday, July 25, 2017

The Breakdown by B. A. Paris


For three years, Cass Anderson had been taking care of her mother who had dementia.  It has taken its toll on her, and has also made her worry that she too may have dementia some day.

The worry actually seemed to be coming true since Cass has been forgetting everything including appointments, where she left money given to her to buy a gift, and lunch dates.

On her way home from a work party, Cass passed by a car on a deserted road and didn't stop because the driver gave no indication that any help was needed. The next morning the news announced that a woman had been murdered on that same road.

The guilt Cass felt from not stopping to help caused her memory to get worse and her fears that the murderer saw her that night and was after her escalated.  She did get phone calls that had no one on the other end of the line as well as many other instances that made her think she was heading the path of her mother. Was it dementia or stress?  Or could it be someone making her think her memory was declining.

THE BREAKDOWN was very tense, and did have me thinking someone was purposely doing all of these things to stress her to the point of losing her memory and deciding to not go back to work.

THE BREAKDOWN had me turning the pages as well as being nervous for Cass, but it was nothing like the tension and terror of her first book.

As the ending neared, the suspense was very high as the truth came out.

I sort of figured out toward the end what was going on, but the plot and revelation were carefully and cleverly carried out by Ms. Paris.

ENJOY!!  4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.



15 comments:

  1. If you read this book, what were your thoughts?

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this a lot too. I didn't think it was as good as Behind Closed Doors but I still thought it was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked this one better.

      Behind Closed Doors had me cringing.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. It looks like I should get a hold of Behind Closed Doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, but it is chilling.

      Thanks for stopping, Lloyd.

      Delete
  4. I loved this one, and I had a lot of thoughts about someone messing with her mind.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Messing with her was my thought early on.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  5. I definitely need to grab this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you get a copy of the book.

      Thanks for stopping, Erica.

      Delete
  6. Sounds good so I'll try to listen someday. I thought her first book was very good but it sounds quite different from this book - which is a good thing, I think. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was totally different from her first book.

      This one was no way near as chilling.

      Thanks for the compliment on my review, Mary, and thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  7. I did not get the ending the way you did! I loved the way it was told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good.

      I RARELY guess what's going on. LOL!! I surprised myself.

      Thanks for commenting, Mystica.

      Delete
  8. I have this one but haven't read it yet so I skimmed your review just to see if you enjoyed it. I am really liking these kinds of reads this summer. Tense, page-turners. Not necessarily perfect but fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was tense and a page turner, Ti, but not as tense as her first book. :)

      Behind Closed Doors was good but gave me nightmares.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete