Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The Recipe Box by Viola Shipman


A recipe box for her thirteenth birthday?  Is that what Sam really wanted?

Probably not, but it made her mother and grandmother happy so Sam accepted it and made her first pie.

THE RECIPE BOX was a gift no thirteen-year-old wanted, but it was a gift that kept on giving throughout Sam's life.

We follow Sam as she leaves her loving Michigan home and goes to New York to attend culinary school.  She was a hit in New York, but her boss was a fake.  To her family’s delight Sam decided to come back home.

Sam comes back to the love and warmth of her family and their bakery and orchards.  Was she really ready for this?  Did she make the right decision by coming back home?

All of the characters were lovable, but Grandma Willo was my favorite as was the story from her youth and her life.  

Grandma was simply someone you would love to have as your grandmother because of her positive attitude and attention to making sure her family was happy in everything they chose.

THE RECIPE BOX is a “sweet,” loving read that makes you want to go into the kitchen and be with grandma making the pies and other delicious desserts.

Each chapter was titled with a recipe and inside each chapter we get to join in the family fun and view the ingredients and directions for the yummy food the family makes.

THE RECIPE BOX is for anyone who loves to bake with family, who loves recipes, who loves family history, and who enjoys being in a beautiful setting.

You most likely will shed a few tears not because of sadness, but because of the warmth and love that oozes from the characters and from things they say. 

THE RECIPE BOX is a book that is an uplifting, make-sure-you-make-the-right decisions in your life by following your instincts and embracing change.  

THE RECIPE BOX was definitely written WITH love and for those the author loves. 5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review



22 comments:

  1. You've convinced me Elizabeth that this is one I definitely want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you can tell I LOVED it? :)

      I KNOW you will love it too, Kathryn.

      ENJOY, and thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Sounds delightful! I am going to add it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely read.

      ENJOY, allisamazing, and thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. This sounds right up my alley. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ENJOY - I know you will, Kathy.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like something I would enjoy reading. I'm adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a sweet read in more ways than one.

      Thanks for commenting, Kim.

      Delete
  5. Okay, yours is the 2nd 5/5 in 2 days. Melissa Amster echoed what you said. I guess I better get on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling here. :)

      Yes..you better get it, Lloyd. :)

      It was terrific.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Thanks! I've heard good things about this one, and I love stories with grandmothers who play a huge role in the lives of young people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandmother was amazing.

      All the characters were loveable.

      Thanks for commenting, Laurel.

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed it, Elizabeth. A perfect comfort read when I really needed one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a comfort read.

      Thanks for commenting, Mary.

      Delete
  8. I really like that all of the author's books have a common theme running through their storylines, yet all are told from a slightly different perspective.

    I'm not sure this is a book I would choose for myself, however if I were to ever get to the bottom of my TBR pile, I would certainly not pass up the opportunity to read it.

    Thanks for sharing a lovely review :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne.

      I love how you do research and give me additional information about books and related books.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  9. Sounds very good especially with the recipes included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....the recipes are great!!

      Thanks for commenting, The Bookworm.

      Delete
  10. I absolutely love the concept of this book. Kind of part epistolary, part recipe book, part heartwarming story. Sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a marvelous read.

      Thanks for commenting, Raimey.

      Nice to see you stopped by...thanks.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. It was a very sweet read.

      Thanks for commenting, Michele.

      Delete