Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Glory Over Everything by Kathleen Grissom


From James Pyke to James Burton.

​From the South to the North.

From a plantation to a home in Philadelphia.

James Pyke fled from the plantation
to start a new life after he killed his abusive father.  It wasn't an easy life, but James​ ​managed to find a wealthy family with a silversmith business who took him in, adopted him, and taught him the trade.​

James became very successful with his father's silversmith business and quite prominent in society.

We follow James from his childhood to his adult life. He could never be happy no matter how wonderful his life had become because he always feared the secret he had would be exposed.

GLORY OVER EVERYTHING kept my interest even though it dragged a bit at times. Once the secret James had been keeping is revealed, the book heats up.  The last quarter of the book is very suspenseful, and the book has a satisfying ending.

If you enjoy this time period in history, you will enjoy how Ms. Grissom put together a story line that will captivate you with a wonderful, emotionally packed sequel to THE KITCHEN HOUSE about life during the 1800's.

Enjoy!!  4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.



12 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a historical fiction reader and generally don't enjoy that time period so I'll probably skip this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting.

      We all enjoy different genres which is good.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy historical fiction very much and this era is a bit vague to me. I'd like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will probably want to read The Kitchen House first even though it is not necessary.

      Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a riveting tale. I'm glad my library has ordered copies. Added it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read The Kitchen House?

      Thanks for stopping, Wooly Cakes and Wooden Spoons.

      Delete
  4. I have not yet read The Kitchen House so I will have to put this one on hold. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kitchen House is marvelous.

      You really don't need to read it first, but I did like it better than Glory Over Everything.

      Thanks for stopping, Judy.

      Delete
  5. I've read The Kitchen House and liked it very much. I'm looking forward to this one, but I hope my memory will be refreshed because I don't want to have to re-read the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be fine.

      The only connection to The Kitchen House is Jamie and his mother. Glory Over Everything can be read even if you didn't read The Kitchen House.

      Thanks for stopping, OnDBookshelf.

      Delete
  6. It's a shame it dragged a bit at times. I've seen this book on a few blogs, usually with a good review. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete