Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Secrets of Flight by Maggie Leffler

 


THE SECRETS OF FLIGHT is filled with writers, readers, secrets, life’s lessons, and​ laugh-out-loud situations.​

We meet 87-year-old Mrs. Browning also known as Miriam Lichtenstein who has a story that needs to be told and Elyse a 15-year old who helps record her story.

We learn about Mrs Browning's past through flashbacks and the story she has Elyse typing for her.

The two main characters were lovable and two people who would be wonderful to know.  I am wondering if the characters were actual people in the author's life.

I enjoyed flashing back to Mrs. Brownings' life and seeing her excitement and experiences with flying as well as her personal life.  I learned about The Fly Girls who were famous during WWII.


The friendship between Elyse and Mrs. Browning beautifully wove the story. 

THE SECRETS OF FLIGHT is a well-researched, marvelous debut filled with vivid descriptions.

THE SECRETS OF FLIGHT took a few pages to get the gist of the story line, but it was funny, endearing, and a must read for historical fiction and women's fiction fans.  


I enjoyed THE SECRETS OF FLIGHT and was anxious to get back to the book and to the characters.  

ENJOY when you read the book.  I did. 4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the author and publisher in return for an honest review.


20 comments:

  1. I hope you get to read this book.

    ENJOY when you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like to read about women in nontraditional roles but am not a big fan of historical fiction so I'll have to think about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main character is worth the read. Not purely historical fiction.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. Sounds kind of sweet - in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a sweet read with endearing characters.

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete
  4. I'm close to finishing this one and am working on a review for it. I won it through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. I really like it as well.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear you enjoyed the book also.

      I loved the characters.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
    2. Great to hear you are enjoying it too.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  5. I've read lots of novels about the British counterparts to the Fly Girls, but none about them. I'm looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good read.

      Interesting to learn about the Fly Girls.

      The main character is great.

      Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      Delete
  6. To imagine what ppl have seen and done during that time period is highly interesting to think about. I had two grandfathers who served in the military for that war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father served in WWII and freed one of the concentration camps.

      I think he was at Normandy too.

      I can't imagine how the Europeans were able to endure the hardships.

      Thanks for stopping, Wooly Cakes and Wooden Spoons.

      Delete
  7. This sounds quite good, Elizabeth! I enjoy historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should enjoy it if you read it, Suko.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  8. I enjoy reading about characters of different generations helping one another. I will check this out. Thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome.

      I hope you get to read the book. It was very good.

      Thanks for stopping, Gail.

      Delete
    2. Have a great day, Elizabeth!

      Delete
  9. Wow that cover looks fantastic. I will add this to my tumbling stack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful cover and a great read.

      ENJOY when you read it, reeca.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete