Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The Widow's House by Carol Goodman

Clare and Jess Martin are struggling writers even though Jess has already had one book published.  They both want to continue writing, and Jess wants to make his second book a best seller, but their finances are holding them back.

They have exhausted their savings and are now looking for a new home that they can afford.  Unfortunately, everything is out of their price range.

But....when they have the offer to be a caretaker at Riven House in the town where they both went to college, where Clare grew up, and where their writing professor lived, they jump at the chance. Free lodging wasn't a bad deal either.

Who wouldn't want to re-connect with a famous writer who had been your college professor ?

The only "catch" is that the house is in utter disrepair and has many odd, creepy folks that live on the estate with the professor.

The treasures Clare finds in the house as she is cleaning as well as the ghosts and the sounds that haunt the house​ caught my interest.
                ​

THE WIDOW'S HOUSE has a gorgeous cover that pulls you in, and the story line along with the characters and what has happened and what currently happens at Riven House is intriguing.

A paranormal aspect is there, but it isn't over powering ​and ​​definitely ​adds to the book's​ interest.

It took me about 100 pages to get connected, but it was worth the wait​ as the family saga and secrets unfolded.​


​Along with the mystery and eeriness of the house, there is a mystery about who Clare's birth mother really was. 

Those readers who enjoy a mystery, a unique family, ghosts, family secrets, and a Gothic theme will enjoy THE WIDOW’S HOUSE.

Ms. Goodman has a marvelous writing style that will draw you in and have you easily connecting with the characters.  

The ending is quite good.  4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher  in return for an honest review.


14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book to hunker down with on a cold night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      It was a good read.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      Delete
  2. I have this one, and now I'm eager to move it up on the list. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel.

      I think you will like it.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad it got better for you. Family secrets are something I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...secrets are fun.

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a great read. My favorite genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good.

      ENJOY if you read it, Becky.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. Oh this sounds good!! Added it to my TBR list
    !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it, Kim.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. The Gothic theme doesn't generally interest me very much, but the premise and your review makes this one sound so good, that they would be the main factors in my choosing to read it.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read it, I hope you like it, Yvonne.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. This definately sounds like a book that I would really enjoy. I’m going to add it to my want to read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it. I hope you do too.

      Thanks for commenting, Margie.

      Delete