Thursday, June 29, 2017

The Summer House by Hannah McKinnon


Flossy Merrill's children, her husband, and The Summer House have always been her first loves.

Nothing mattered to her as much as her family.  The family wasn’t together for a few summers in a row because of commitments, but this summer Flossy managed to get everyone together to celebrate their father's 75th birthday party.


Flossy also had another reason to get the family together, but she and Richard couldn't bring themselves to tell their children even though they knew they had to sooner than later.

Getting together was easy this year, but wasn't easy once everyone arrived.  Sibling rivalry still continued into adulthood, and each of Flossy and Richard's children had some issue with each other and in their lives.

Paige still seemed bossy, Sam still liked to pick on Clem, and Clem was still mourning the loss of her husband.

The characters will grow on you and bring you into their problems and their heartaches as well as their joys.  I enjoyed the sibling and parental interactions with some being comical, some being emotional, and some being serious.

THE SUMMER HOUSE is a perfect read for anyone who has a tradition of spending family vacations together.  We never did that, but it would be fun to compare what your family vacations were like and how they might be compared to the family vacations of the Merrills.  It would be interesting to see any similarities and differences. 


This was my first book by Ms. McKinnon, and I truly enjoyed THE SUMMER HOUSE.  I would love to spend some time in that gorgeous house.  :)    

THE SUMMER HOUSE was a heartfelt, lovely read about a family I think most readers could identify with.

If you know this author's work and have enjoyed it, you will not be disappointed in THE SUMMER HOUSE as you become involved in the lives of the characters and feel the emotions they are experiencing.  5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.


10 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed this book! It sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely read.

      Thanks for stopping, Suko.

      Delete
  2. This sounds perfect for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a perfect summer read.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. Does this review include the cover of the book? For some reason, when I view your page none of the images display for me. Only the sidebar images. Must be something on my end.

    This books sounds like something I would enjoy. When my kids were young, we'd always rent a beach house and spend a week right on the beach. As the kids got older, they were harder to contain in that small space so we stopped going. I miss it. We still visit that same beach many times during the year but being right on the beach for a few days really makes for some wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is there...sorry if it isn't showing on your end.

      You HAVE to see the cover. The house on the cover is GORGEOUS!!

      You definitely would enjoy it if you and your family have spent summers at a beach house.

      Thanks for stopping, Ti.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I wish had a summer house to go to. This one sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did sound very nice. I would like a second home somewhere else. :)

      I don't like the beach - I know I am probably the only one on the planet. LOL!!

      Thanks for stopping, Laura.

      Delete
  5. My summer vacations were spent visiting extended family though my sister's rarely went. I always thought it would be fun to rent a house for a week or so on the beach. Great review! Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and her family rent one for a week and so does a friend.

      They enjoy it.

      Thanks for stopping, Donna.

      Delete