Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Poison by Galt Niederhoffer


A whirlwind romance opposed by her mother, a marriage made in heaven, and a move across the country.  Was the move part of Ryan’s plan to have no family around for Cass?

A second chance with a man that she never dreamed would come into her life after her husband died was what Cass needed, and Ryan fit the bill.

Everything was perfect wasn't it? A perfect marriage, three perfect kids, and a loving relationship until..…

The Connor family looked perfect on the outside, but the Connors were not perfect at all.  Ryan and Cass started out as the dream couple until Ryan showed his true colors of physical as well as psychological abuse.  When Cass would confront him with things that happened, he would turn it around and make her feel as if she were the guilty party.

Ryan went from the perfect loving husband and father to an abusive monster that Cass put up with and even denied.

POISON had good writing that pulled you in, but it seemed to drag on and brought up one crazy situation after another.

Domestic abuse was the main theme of POISON and very upsetting, but not as upsetting as some domestic thrillers.  It definitely is frightening how often domestic abuse occurs and how many books have this as a theme.

Cass made some very stupid decisions that put herself and her children in danger when she knew she should have just left.  It was pretty tense at those moments.

POISON was not a bad read, and the ending was unexpected, but it could have been shortened. 


It definitely is a psychological thriller and makes you wonder who you can truly trust.

I would not recommend reading this book if you have been in a similar situation.

If you like intense situations, you will enjoy POISON.  


I read it very quickly because I was nervous about what would happen. 4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.


12 comments:

  1. Hmm! I wouldn't like drawn out. What I would like is that she eventually stands up for herself. Otherwise thumbs down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm inpatient with books that are too long, especially this time of year. I might give this one a try after the holidays, though, because I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had a good premise and ending so you may like it.

      Thanks for commenting, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. Sounds pretty good, but I don't know if I can handle the subject matter just right now... Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments.

      Yes...that's why I put that information about not wanting to read it if the subject is sensitive to anyone.

      Thanks for commenting, Davida.

      Delete
  4. I loved it, as you know, Elizabeth, and to me it wasn't too long. The intensity of the edge-of-my-seat moments kept me engaged throughout.

    Thanks for your great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...there definitely were some edge-of-the-seat moments.

      Thanks for commenting, Laurel.

      Delete
  5. I read this as well and I agree with your thoughts....too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review is great. I personally have not been in an abusive relationship with my husband ever. But I have known women who were. My best friend was and her husband beat her to death and yes I mean to death. Shortly after the birth of their son. It was horrible and so very sad. Women stay because they are AFRAID to leave. These men won’t let them go. I will most likely read this book as I love a good thriller even if it does have domestic abuse. The only abuse I ever knew was growing up with a very abusive mother/stepdad. I was able to leave but my friend Cathy could not. Great review Elizabeth. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply, Linda.

      Domestic abuse is a terrible epidemic.

      Delete