Tuesday, April 24, 2018

The Husband Hour by Jamie Brenner


A hero, a widow, a filmmaker.  They all had something in common and that was Rory Kincaid.

Rory is a former star hockey player and a war hero killed in the line of duty.  Lauren is his widow who is hiding from the world. Matt is a filmmaker who wants a story and confirmation about Rory’s life from Lauren, and Lauren wants nothing to do with talking.

We also get to share time at the family’s beach home and see the interaction or lack of interaction between everyone.

THE HUSBAND HOUR had me reading quickly because I wanted to see if Lauren would really break down and be interviewed for the documentary on her deceased husband, but the book was slow for me and could have been shorter.

THE HUSBAND HOUR had a lot of family drama and decision making on the parts of the characters. Each family member had an issue, and Beth, the mother, tried to manage it all without success and with grumbling and resentment from the family members.

I enjoyed the present day interactions more than when we were hearing the story of Rory.  

If you enjoy the beach and characters that don't interact well with each other but do carry the story line, THE HUSBAND HOUR will be for you.  

You will also find out the meaning of the book's title as well as become educated about traumatic brain injuries that athletes incur.  

THE HUSBAND HOUR will appeal to many, but I just couldn't connect with the characters or the story line.  

There is a surprise at the end.  3/5


This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.

10 comments:

  1. So this book sure didn't float your reading heart so I might give it a miss. I have seen it around but didn't know much about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't do anything for me or for my reading heart. 😍 I like your description About a reading heart. 😍

      Her book, THE FOREVER SUMMER, was enjoyable for me. This one didn't click.

      I may be the only reader who didn't like it.

      Thanks for commenting, Kathryn.

      Delete
  2. Sorry this didn't work for you all that well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like this one was more character-driven than action. The storyline isn't too exciting either. I guess the characters truly need to appeal to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this author. So you didn't see the surprise at the end coming? That can be fun when it happens. Sorry it dragged for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t see the surprise.

      Here other book was better for me...THE FOREVER SUMMER.

      Thanks for commenting, Mary.

      Delete
  5. This one is probably not for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone I know loved it, so I am odd man out. :). 😍😍😍

      Thanks for commenting Laurel.

      Delete