Saturday, November 28, 2015

Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier


Mary complied with her dying mother's wishes that she move in with her Aunt Patience.  Little did Mary's mother know what that wish held for Mary.

Those wishes turned out to be very unpleasant for Mary.  Mary had to endure her uncle's ​horribly ​mean disposition, his illegal activities, his mistreatment of Aunt Patience, and ​Mary's being pulled into it all.

Mary saw things at Jamaica Inn that she had never seen before. For one thing​, this Inn never had any guests ​except for unsavory characters.

The setting of JAMAICA INN is perfect for this gothic, dark story line.  Ms. Du Maurier did it again with her detailed writing and pull-you-in tale.  She keeps everything dark enough, subtle​ ​enough, and interesting enough that even though you dislike what is going on and will definitely ​dislike ​Uncle Joss, you can't stop reading.

​I literally hated Uncle Joss because of his cruel, rude personality.  I felt sorry for Aunt Patience because of her fear of Uncle Joss and her reluctance to leave. I feared for Mary's safety in this desolate, dreary place.

The book was a perfect Du Maurier book.  The entire book was suspenseful, tense, and had a sinister tone.  

JAMAICA INN is a book I would recommend to those who know Du Maurier's writing even though it took me this long to know the book was out there and to read it.  :)  

If you don't know Du Maurier's writing, you will want to.

Enjoy and read JAMAICA INN when you can.  5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.​

25 comments:

  1. This is the only book besides REBECCA that I have read by Ms. Du Maurier.

    Rebecca was a favorite, and this one is also quite good.

    Thanks for stopping, and let me know if you have read JAMAICA INN, REBECCA, or any other books by Ms. Du Maurier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book long, long ago in what now seems almost like another lifetime. I loved it then - perhaps it is time for me to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even knew about it. LOL!!

      I think they re-published it. It was very good.

      Thanks for stopping, Dorothy.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Elizabeth. I've heard many good things about this author's writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....great author. She has a wonderful background too.

      Thanks for stopping, Suko.

      Delete
  4. I read this decades ago, maybe it is time for a reread. My favorite of her books, also read years ago was the romantic Frenchman's Creek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read REBECCA and am glad I read this book.

      Thanks for stopping, Terra.

      Delete
  5. I read Rebecca first & loved it. Also read Jamaica Inn which I enjoyed very much - it reminded me a little of Wuthering Heights - maybe the setting. Rebecca is my favourite out of the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED Rebecca.

      I agree....Rebecca is my favorite also.

      Thanks for stopping, Carol.

      Delete
  6. I love her books. Read them all twice over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun on re-reading.

      I usually do not re-read, but would consider re-reading Rebecca.

      Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      Delete
  7. I read this one some time ago and really enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I am a late reader. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  8. I loved this book, but it has been years since I read it. I have a copy on my shelves to reread at some point. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....a good read by a great author.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful review, Elizabeth. I'd seen this one around for quite a while. Sounds like something I'd like to read as I like books that really pull my emotions in.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane.

      It was quite good. You should read Rebecca by this author too.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  10. Jamaica Inn is my favourite Daphne du Maurier novel. So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Rebecca better, but Jamaica Inn was quite good

      Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      Delete
  11. I think this is a book I will enjoy. I will have to add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it.

      Read REBECCA too. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Hilary.

      Delete
  12. I love when publishers take a classic and republish it under a new cover for a new generation (or older one too!) to discover or re-discover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....I am in the DISCOVER group. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Laura.

      Delete
  13. This makes me want to pull out my box of old Gothics - Mary Stewart and Victoria Holt mostly - that I saved and see how I feel about them now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go and see what happens. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Martha.

      Delete