Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth


A thirty-eight year old with early stages of Alzheimer's disease and in an assisted living facility...very difficult for Anna as well as her family.

Anna lived with her brother and his family once they found out she couldn't live alone, but then it got to the point where she needed constant supervision, and the assisted living facility was the only safe place for Anna.

Anna had enough wits about her to know she needed to be at Rosalind​ House​, but also was sad she was there.

While she was there, she met another young patient, Luke, as well as Eve who was a single mother that had lost everything when her husband was involved in a Ponzi Scheme.

Eve became very protective of Anna and Luke, the two young residents of Rosalind House, and secretly allowed them to meet against the family’s wishes.

Eve had trouble and worries of her own, though, but made the best of her current situation until her daughter started having trouble at school because of the situation they were in.

As you read, you become attached to all the characters and sympathize with their situations.  You will learn about Alzheimer's disease and how it affects the patient as well as the family.

THE THINGS WE KEEP is a book that makes you begin to think about all the times you have forgotten things and about how love can be the best medicine.  :)

THE THINGS WE KEEP is different from THE SECRETS OF MIDWIVES, addresses a well-known problem, and is well researched by Ms. Hepworth.​ 

The ending was heartbreaking but redeeming.  Break out the tissues from the warmth you will feel and from the sad but wonderful ending.   

THE THINGS WE KEEP is a reminder that memories are "the things we should keep." 4/5​

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation in return for an honest review.

29 comments:

  1. Have you read this book?

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am looking forward to reading this book. Hearing really good things. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease, but like many things, bits of light and joy can be found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy the book.

      Thanks for stopping, Kay.

      Delete
  3. This does sound good but sad. I'll remember the tissues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good but sad as you said.

      I hope you like it if you read it.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your great review Elizabeth. I have this book on my 'ToRead' list. I've read other positive reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it, Pat.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  5. I really liked this one, but I actually liked the stories of Eve and Clementine more than Anna and Luke. I found their love story sweet, but mostly born out of circumstance rather than true love. Still a great read that I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eve and Clementine were quite likable, and they did have a good story.

      Thanks for stopping, OnDBookshelf.

      Delete
  6. I agree, it sounds good. Adding it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it, Mary.

      Did you read her first book, The Secrets of Midwives?

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete
  7. Glad it was redeeming despite the heartbreak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good, but get out the tissues as I mentioned. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Nise.

      Delete
  8. Just read an interview with Sally Hepworth and how she got her idea for the book. No secret - I loved this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I enjoyed that interview too.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathryn.

      Delete
  9. this sounds good, but I'm not sure could read it, having been one of those family members who watch a loved one forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be too much for you, Irene.

      Thanks for stopping, Irene.

      Delete
  10. This sounds very touching. Thank you for your honest review, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Glad you liked my review.

      Thanks for stopping, Suko.

      Delete
  11. Having worked with Alzheimers patients I know that love is truly the best gift we can give them. Their losses are so great. This books sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not too many books make me cry but I'm sure this one would do the trick. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most likely will.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  13. I like realistic fiction like this. It sounds like it was a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very real. I think you would like it, William.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  14. This book sounds so good. Is this a 2nd book in a series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...not in a series.

      It is her second book.

      Thanks for stopping, The Truth About Books.

      Delete
  15. I've been hearing such great things about this book but the sadness scares me away right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad, but it is good.

      Thanks for stopping, stacybuckeye.

      Delete