Monday, March 16, 2015

The Reluctant Midwife by Patricia Harman



Babies, folks helping each other, and a difficult, but wonderful era.

Patience and Becky knew each other from years before and became reacquainted when Becky moved back to town with Dr. Blum who is now disabled.

Patience is a midwife, and Becky is a nurse.  Both women deliver babies together and share what they have food wise and material wise to make ends meet and to make it through the difficult times of The Depression.  You will follow Patience, Becky, Dr. Blum, Patience's husband, and all of the other delightful town folks through their days.​

THE RELUCTANT MIDWIFE is one of those books you won't want to put down because the characters are so wholesome and because the story is so homey and heartwarming.  Patience and Becky are characters you would want for a friend.

ENJOY if you read THE RELUCTANT MIDWIFE....any women's fiction fan will be hooked.  You will want to crawl into the pages of the book, to be one of the characters, and to share in their lives. 

THE MIDWIFE OF HOPE RIVER is recommended before reading THE RELUCTANT MIDWIFE, but I am having no trouble​ with following the storyline.  It is a marvelous read.  5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.​
  


 

19 comments:

  1. Loved the storyline as you can tell.

    I hope you get to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just finishing The Secrets of Midwives, and I love it. Midwives by Christ Bohjalian is another favorite of mine. I've always been drawn to midwife stories (don't really know why), so this one looks very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good read, OnDBookshelf.

      I think you will like it.

      ENJOY when you read it.

      Thanks for stopping, OnDBookshelf.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this oNe too, but the first was also wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to read the first one now. I hope it won't be spoiled. As you can see, I loved this book and the characters.

      Thanks for stopping, shelleyrae.

      Delete
  4. Hi Elizabeth - Awesome review. I didn't mention all of the characters in my review, but I did love them all! I fear much of the 'helping one another' has gone by the wayside in more recent years. BTW, I also love your website -- very professional and pleasing to the eye. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Diane, for the nice comments about my blog.

      Helping one another definitely has unfortunately gone by the wayside.

      Thanks so much for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  5. So I thought I had just added this book to my Goodreads TBR list but I think it was a different book with "midwives" in the title. Hmm. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Elizabeth.

      Perhaps it was The Secrets of Midwives?

      Both book are very good, and both are reviewed on my blog.

      Thanks for stopping, Elizabeth.

      Delete
  6. Great review, Elizabeth. I'm considering adding this one to my pile.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Carmen.

      I hope you like the book.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like we both read midwife books we like. :) Great review. I also liked your Whisper Hollow review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. Whisper Hollow was a great read.

      Midwife books are usually good...glad to hear we both liked them.

      Thanks for stopping, Melissa.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like my kind of read!! Thanks for the wonderful review. I'll be adding this book to my ever growing reading wishlist!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome.

      It was very good.

      Thanks for stopping, Captivated Reader.

      Delete
  9. This period of history has plenty of built-in drama and human interest. It sounds like this book is a good representative of the era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a perfect representation.

      Loved the book.

      Thanks for stopping, Dorothy.

      Delete
  10. This sounds like a good series. I'll look into adding it to my never-ending list of books to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you LOVE the books when you read them.

      Thanks for stopping, Julie.

      Delete