Tuesday, May 10, 2016

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh


Two minutes sooner, two minutes later....it would have made a difference.

Two minutes sooner, two minutes later....it would have saved the horrible pain.

Two minutes sooner, two minutes later....it would have saved Jacob's life.

Two minutes sooner, two minutes later....it would have kept​ ​J​acob's mother ​from seeing a car hit her son, kill her son, and see the driver run from the scene leaving her with this unending pain.


We meet Kate and Ray the detectives, Jenna who leaves Bristol after the accident, and a town in Wales where everyone would want to live and where Jenna goes.​
      
We learn about Jenna's life past and present, and we learn about the lives of the police detectives both personal and professionally. Jenna's past life was not a pleasant one.
 

I LET YOU GO takes off like a speeding train and doesn't stop with the suspense until the last page. 
 
I LET YOU GO is a thriller ​with many twists and some unpleasant surprises and revelations.  It addresses domestic abuse and its disastrous effects.

Most of the characters were believable and likeable, but one of them was definitely evil.​  I flinched and feared for Jenna as she dealt with this evil character. 

I never guessed the twist at the end. 

Ms. Mackintosh wrote a brilliantly crafted, chilling debut that you won't want to put down.

Do not miss reading I LET YOU GO​, but be ready for some disturbing situations in this overall excellent thriller. 5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation from the publisher in return for an honest review.





24 comments:

  1. I chose this book as my book of the month club pick because I couldn't get through the queue at the library. I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival in my mailbox. I've seen so much publicity for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ENJOY when you read the book.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      Delete
  2. I loved this book. One of my favourite of the last year. Hard to review though without letting the twist out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was difficult to keep it a secret.

      I hope I didn't reveal the twist.

      Thanks for stopping, Emma.

      Delete
  3. What a horrifying experience for the protagonist. Sounds like an interesting read.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm out of my comfort range with this one but I'm reading it now. Glad to see you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit intense. I hope you like it, though.

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete
  5. I also chose this for my Book of the Month selection and your review makes me even more excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...glad I helped with the excitement. :)

      Thanks for stopping, TarheelFlT1.

      Delete
  6. I have this on my TBR. You do make it sound so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...it was very intriguing.

      ENJOY when you read it.

      Thanks for stopping, Wooly Cakes and Wooden Spoons.

      Delete
  7. I just downloaded this one last week...can't wait to read it. Sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very suspenseful....you will love it.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  8. I am really anticipating reading this novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a very popular book.

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  9. I've been waiting to read your review of this one. Wow, it sounds so gripping and painful to read as a parent! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very gripping because of the accident, and it also addresses domestic abuse. Very intense scenes about the domestic abuse.

      Thanks for stopping, Laura.

      Delete
  10. This is the second review of this I've read today! I am so curious now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very good if you like suspense.

      Thanks for stopping, Serena.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. It was very suspenseful.

      Thanks for stopping, Susanne.

      Delete
  12. It's so disturbing and freaky, I couldn't figure out what was going to happen and the twist was immense! That's why I Let You Go made it onto my top 5 thrillers that keep you guessing list (which you can check out here if you're interested: https://readbyjess.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/top-5-thrillers-that-keep-you-guessing.html) - I agree with your review and seriously felt emotionally connected with Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping, Jess.

      The book was very good.

      Delete