Thursday, October 6, 2016

News Of The World by Paulette Jiles


Captain Kidd had experience traveling uncharted lands as he read his newspapers in different towns to spread the news of the world, but traveling with a ten-year-old girl who couldn't speak English was quite a different task for him.

Johanna had been kidnapped by the Kiowa Indians after her family was killed in a raid, but Johanna was now released and needed to be returned to her aunt and uncle.  She didn't know who they were, and they didn't know her.

NEWS OF THE WORLD flows beautifully as we follow Captain Kidd and Johanna on their 400-mile journey that Captain Kidd regretfully had accepted.  He had to deal with no language communication except for a few words and sign language as well as Johanna's numerous attempts to escape.

NEWS OF THE WORLD was an enjoyable read because the writing was marvelous, the story line was interesting, and the characters were authentic and likable.  ​Johanna grew on you.  ​​Mrs. Gannet was charming.  Captain Kidd was a perfect gentleman, a wonderful father, and an all-around good guy.​


I enjoyed the historical aspect of how there were folks who went from town to town reading the news.  ​I loved the descriptions of the undeveloped country and am happy I didn't live back then.  It was difficult to imagine there were no paved roads.​ We readers even get to be in the middle of a gun fight. 

NEWS OF THE WORLD is filled with beautiful, descriptive writing that pulls you in   I truly enjoyed NEWS OF THE WORLD mainly because of the characters and definitely the warmth and kindness of Captain Kidd.  

If you need a quick, enjoyable, heartwarming read, NEWS OF THE WORLD fits the bill along with a history lesson. 4/5

This book was giv​en to me free of charge and without compensation from the publisher in return for an honest review.​


12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good one! I love history novels and the title of this one is so apt. Thanks for sharing it Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the book.

      Thanks for stopping, Mareli.

      Delete
  2. I've been hearing a lot about this book but I'm not sure it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a few pages, but I liked it.

      I thought the same thing, Kathy, but I am glad I read it.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting so I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      I think you will like it.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a good book to read. I'm visiting from Saturday Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good book.

      Thanks for stopping, Linda.

      Delete
  5. I like the story line, it must be fascinating and a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was different at first, but the characters are wonderful.

      Thanks for stopping, Mixed Reviews.

      Delete
  6. I just finished News of the World and also liked it and the charming Captain Kidd very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charming was the perfect word for Captain Kidd.

      Thanks for stopping, Susie.

      Delete