Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Flight of the Sparrow by Amy Belding Brown

Living in a structured house, living in a wetu.

Having enough food, always hungry.

Not showing love to your children, cherishing your children.

Living a strict Puritan existence, living carefree.

Never experiencing the pleasure of nature, hearing every little part of nature.

All those statements show the differences Mary Rowlandson found when comparing her Puritan life to her life in Indian captivity.

Which way would you want to live?​


Mary Rowlandson and many others were captured by Indians and were forced to live within the Indian community.  It was a harsh life for her as well as the entire Indian community.  Despite the hardships, Mary blended in well and was protected by an Englishman.

You will follow Mary as she transforms from a Puritan English woman into an Indian woman. She loved her transformation and found the link to nature and peace that she didn't have as the wife of a strict Puritan minister.

FLIGHT OF THE SPARROW was very well researched and held my interest.   At first I didn't realize FLIGHT OF THE SPARROW was based on an actual person.  Once I found that out, the book became even more intriguing.

I have never read any book about this time period in American history, but want to find out more.  FLIGHT OF THE SPARROW ​is a gripping account of Early America, and history buffs will not be disappointed.​


I recommend this book to anyone who loves a well-researched, historical novel.

I can't divulge any more without telling the story, but take the time to read FLIGHT OF THE SPARROW.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  4/5​

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.​
    

15 comments:

  1. I really liked this book.

    Gorgeous cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my wishlist already because another book I want has this as a "you might also like" reference. After your great review I do want to read this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like historical fiction about Early America, you will like it, Rita.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the book cover is lovely. Thanks for review! I've added it to my TBR. I love part of the title too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, Claudia.

    I can guess which word you like. :)

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the title and cover! Your review has me so intrigued that I have added it to my TBR list!! Thanks for a great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, Books In The Burbs.

    That is so nice to hear.

    Thanks for stopping, and enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your wonderful review Elizabeth. It sounds really interesting especially that it was based on a real person's life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was pretty good.

    I would have hated to live as a Puritan woman. :)

    Thanks for stopping, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one sounds exactly like the kind of book I love to read! The storyline captured my attention immediately and your review got me even more curious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was really good, Laura.

    Thanks for stopping, and enjoy when you read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Elizabeth,

    I have recently discovered just how much I enjoy reading British historical fiction, so perhaps reading some American work from a similar genre, as a comparison, would be an interesting exercise.

    I don't know which way of life would choose to live. I quite like my creature comforts and plenty of stability in my life. However, after getting over the initial shock, I am guessing that the peace and tranquility of a non possessional society, could become quite appealing.

    A lovely, detailed review, as always.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Yvonne.

    I love your comments. Always so complimentary and nice.

    I would like the comforts of home. No wilderness for me. LOL!!

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think there might be a young adult or children's book based on this story too. I'll have to look on my shelf. The cover is lovely and I like reading about this time period. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete