Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The Stolen Marriage by Diane Chamberlain


Tess, Tess, Tess, what did you do?  Is that the only decision you could have made?

Tess was engaged to her childhood sweetheart, Vincent, and to be married within the year, but she went on a weekend trip that she didn’t want to go on with her friend and something awful happened that changed her life and her plans.

Tess found out she was pregnant from the weekend away and broke her engagement to the love of her life, found the man who raped her, and married him.

She was moved from Baltimore, Maryland, to Hickory, North Carolina, had to change her religion, and had to live in Hank’s family home with his mother and sister who both disliked her along with the entire town.  She ruined her life and Vincent’s life, but it was 1943, and did she have any other choice?

We follow Tess through her days of actually being an outcast and in a loveless marriage.

There were a lot of secrets in the Kraft family and especially with her husband, Hank.  He would leave and not come home at night or not come home for days.  I didn't like any of the Krafts and felt awful for Tess.  She was an innocent, unassuming girl whose life was ruined.

Despite the unlikable characters, the writing and story line of THE STOLEN MARRIAGE are marvelous as always with the backdrop being the South during WWII with all their proper, Southern ways and the polio epidemic.  

Ms. Chamberlain includes the history of Hickory's Emergency Infantile Paralysis Hospital that took care of polio victims.

The book smoothly moved from page to page pulling you into the story and consuming you with the intrigue and tension as everything unfolded making it difficult to put down.

THE STOLEN MARRIAGE can only be described as addictive, amazing, and fantastic. 

A MUST READ - my favorite of her books.  5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.

15 comments:

  1. Totally enjoyed this book.

    Thank you, Katie Bassel and St. Martin's.

    Thanks for stopping everyone. Have you read the book yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe I've never read her work. I feel sure I'd like it, though. This book sounds especially good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy her books, Kathy.

      I hope you get to read one.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. I really liked this one and the inclusion of the polio epidemic was historical and informative and showed how heartbreaking it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was excellent information about the polio epidemic and very heartbreaking.

      I know we were vaccinated against polio when I was a child.

      I "think" we had a sugar cube we ate? My brothers and sisters don't remember, but I think that's what we did. Thank goodness for Mr. Salk.

      Thanks for commenting, Kathryn.

      Delete
  4. Yes, a sugar cube! I remember that :) I finished reading it yesterday - really liked it. My first Chamberlain book so I'm glad to see she has a large back list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I thought that was it.

      I am glad you liked the book too.

      I have read a few. NECESSARY LIES, THE SILENT SISTER, PRETENDING TO DANCE. Can't remember others, but they were good.

      Thanks for commenting, and for the help about the sugar cube. :)

      Delete
  5. Elizabeth, I am enticed due to your enthusiastic review. It does sound like a book I must read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy it, Suko.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad you loved it, too! It was my favorite book of September...and maybe my favorite from the author. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel. Glad you liked my review.

      It is going to be my favorite of hers too.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. Sounds so sad. I read one by Chamberlain years ago, but haven't gotten around to picking up another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very sad for Tess, but the book was excellent.

      Thanks for commenting, Carol.

      Delete
  8. Seems like a lot if going on in this one! She marries her rapist?? I would have a problem with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 1943, and she felt that was the only thing to do since she was tainted. I didn't agree with it either.

      Thanks for commenting, Ti.

      Delete