Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Seven Days of Us by Francesca Hornak


Seven days of togetherness along with secrets and tension make up the Birch family's Christmas holiday this year.

Emma has a health secret.

Andrew has a really big secret from his past.

Olivia has something she has to keep secret while in quarantine.

Phoebe really doesn't have a secret but is very self centered.

Staying in Emma's family estate is a bit challenging since Emma doesn't like to change anything from when she spent time there as she grew up.  Things are old and decaying, and the technological side of it is very slow.

I wasn't sure what this book was going to be like at first, but once each chapter began to reveal things about each character, it became a very good read for me.

I laughed a lot as well as worried a lot.  The funniest thing was that each year they planted the Christmas tree back in the same spot and uprooted it again for the next Christmas.  The worries about their secret were intense for some of the characters, and I worried along with them.

SEVEN DAYS OF US was well written and a light read even though some of the issues were not light. The family grew on me to the point that I would have liked to be quarantined with them. 

An enjoyable read that will have you wondering what decisions you would have made about your secrets and situations.  SEVEN DAYS OF US also has some heart wrenching events.

Excellent debut novel - marvelous writing and detail as well as a great story line. 4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher, NetGalley, and Great Thought's Ninja Review Team in return for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.  


AUTHOR BIO

Francesca Hornak is a journalist and writer, whose work has appeared in newspapers and magazines including The Sunday Times, The Guardian, Elle, Marie Claire, Cosmopolitan and Red. She is the author of two nonfiction books, History of the World in 100 Modern Objects: Middle Class Stuff (and Nonsense) and Worry with Mother: 101 Neuroses for the Modern Mama. Visit her online @FrancescaHornak. 

LINKS:

Follow the author on Twitter

27 comments:

  1. Have you read SEVEN DAYS OF US yet?

    Let me know what you think.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a winner. I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good.

      Thanks for commenting, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it, Tracy.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Great review! Thank you! You've really made me want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...why thank you, Kim.

      I hope your book club chooses it too.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. I have it but haven't gotten to it yet. I fell behind with my reading trying to finish King's new book. It was a bit of a slog which I did not anticipate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the King book. I actually do not read his books.

      I hope you enjoy SEVEN DAYS OF US, Ti.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. As you know, I ended up loving this book. Great review! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...it was good...the characters and the story line grew on me. :)

      Thanks for the compliment on my review and for commenting, Laurel.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a great read, though not my usual fare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Emma.


      This book was very good.

      Delete
  8. I am glad you enjoyed it more than me! I have to learn that family dramas just are not my cup of tea. I didn't like any of the characters except for...the one I can't mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, but that is good we all have different likes and dislikes. :)

      I "think" I know who you can't mention. Not sure, though. :)

      Thanks for commenting, Stephanie.

      Delete
  9. Good to see another positive review for this book so will certainly be happy to read it some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read the book and enjoy it too.

      Thanks for commenting, Kathryn.

      Delete
  10. Stories about dysfunctional families can be a hit and miss. Sounds like this one was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) - True.

      They had to grow on you. :)

      Thanks for commenting, Laura.

      Delete
  11. This is the second time recently that I have seen this book with a positive review. It sounds interesting. Will look for it my next library trip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it.

      It was good.

      Thanks for commenting, Susanne.

      Delete
  12. I was a little uncertain about this oe at the outset - too many 'trendy'' themes but then I decided it was really good. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ended up to be a good read. Glad it turned out for you too.

      I did gasp at the end. :(

      Thanks for commenting, Carole.

      Delete
  13. I really loved the family too! I thought they were unique and believable :)

    ReplyDelete