Tuesday, July 26, 2022

The New Neighbor by Karen Cleveland

Beth lost her position as a CIA Intelligence Officer looking for an Iranian spy they called "The Neighbor" and was sent to Kent School where she would be teaching intelligence analysis.  In essence, it was a demotion.

She wouldn’t give up her investigating that she had worked on for years and became obsessed with the family who moved into her home - especially the woman Madeline - because she thought she was the Iranian spy.

Beth also lost her husband to divorce, and her last child was now in college. 

Were these two life-changing events affecting her judgment about this woman? 

Why would she focus on this woman who she found had no history but who did lie about her prior job?

Beth was warned to stop but wouldn’t and took many risks including the risk of losing her job as she was still investigating both Madeleine and others in her old neighborhood without permission from the CIA. 

It was slow going for me, and I am not really a fan of spy novels and espionage, but I continued because I wanted to know what all the hype was about and why Beth had worked for years to find “The Neighbor” and if Madeline really was “The Neighbor.”

If you enjoy a book where you will be thrown off track, and if you enjoy books about the CIA and FBI, this book should be a good one for you.

It just wasn’t a good fit for me. 3/5

This book was given to me by the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.

3 comments:

  1. I hope it’s a better fit for you.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really find it hard when a book is slow going though I usually try to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree…I did finish the book.

      I just didn’t like all the FBI and CIA things.

      It was well written.

      Delete