Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Don't Try to Find Me by Holly Brown


Meeting someone online and falling in love is wonderful.  Yes, it is wonderful but not when you are fourteen and he is twenty-nine and has lied to you about a lot of things including his name.

Marley met Brandon on a social media site, and he talked her into leaving her family and joining him for a life together.  But...she couldn't take her computer, her phone, or even go out of the house once she arrived.

As Marley traveled by bus to meet Brandon, on the other side of the country, her parents were frantically looking for her with no clues at all.  Marley wiped out everything on all devices so no trace of where she was could be discovered.

This nightmare was real for Marley’s parents, Rachel and Paul.  They used social media to start a site named FindMarley.com

This book discussed a lot of social issues and showed the dangers of social media’s influence on youth as well as its ability to aid in getting cross-country exposure about a runaway.

The characters were difficult to like. I wanted to shake Marley. I definitely disliked Brandon.  I wasn't even fond of Rachel or Paul.

But, despite the unlikeable characters, DON’T TRY TO FIND ME had me glued to the pages and had my heart racing.  The suspense was quite high.  My fear for Marley had me tense while I was reading the book as well as when I was waiting to return to see what was going to happen.  I still am anxious as I am writing this...definitely the sign of a GOOD book.

If you like to be kept on the edge of your seat, don’t miss reading DON’T TRY TO FIND ME.  It was a quick read, but very intense.  It could even be called a thriller.

My rating is going to be a 4/5 because parts of the book were a bit too descriptive, but the anxiety and apprehension as each scene took place made it a terrific read.

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.

21 comments:

  1. If you haven't read a thriller lately, give DON'T TRY TO FIND ME a go.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that sounds like it could have been snatched from today's headlines. I've got to get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What headlines?

    I hope you don't know someone who had this happen to them.

    THANKS for stopping, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have convinced me. I want to read this book~!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you like to be scared? :)

    Thanks for stopping, Harvee Lau.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I have teenagers this one may be a little too close to home for me! I think I would spend a lot of time wanting to shake Marley as well. This sounds like a fast paced suspense but maybe not for me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would wait to read it. Very gripping and frightening for a parent.

    Watch what they do on the computer too, Katherine P.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scary, what happens on line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very frightening what happens, Irene.

    And how someone can trick another person.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This does sound a bit frightening. Terrific review, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover was enough to draw me in, but I also love thrillers and the plot sounds pretty intense! Adding this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was scary worrying about what was going to happen to Marley.

    THANKS for stopping, Suko.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you like it, Kate.

    It was scary wondering what was going to happen to Marley and thinking how often this probably does happen.

    Thanks for stopping, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Elizabeth,

    Wow! Your enthusiastic review has really sold this one to me!

    Unfortunately not all aspects of social media which reaches out to all demographics of society, is as positive as we would like it to be and often think it is.

    'Don't Try To Find Me' sounds as though it has some excellent social commentary and I truly believe that the more graphically written it is, the better, as it really serves its purpose if it makes the reader sit up and think!

    Thanks for sharing and I am pleased that you enjoyed the book.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Yvonne...thanks for stopping.

    It wasn't graphic, but I was so afraid for Marley that it scared me but didn't keep me from reading. :)

    I love my computer, but so difficult to hear the bad things that happen especially to unsuspecting youth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the review. Have to find this one now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

    It was good, informative, and scary knowing what can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know I would enjoy this one and it is on my library look-for list now.

    I now have young adults, but my daughter had a problem with social media once when she made the mistake of talking to a girl's boyfriend and staggering amounts of facebook messages, phone calls, emails came down on her in a nasty mass attack orchestrated by the girl (thanks to social media, many didn't even know my daughter but participated--pack mentality).

    Not the same as what the plot of the book is, but just wanted to point out to parents of teen girls what to watch out for.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, just reading your review scared me. I have a teenage daughter and would be devastated if anything like that happened to her. What a nightmare for young ones and their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is scary. If my son were a teenager, I would be watching EVERYTHING he was doing on the Internet.

    THANKS for stopping, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Definitely a way to bully someone too, Rita.

    So scary.

    Thanks for stopping, Rita.

    ReplyDelete