Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Windy City Blues by Renee Rosen


Leeba lived in the Jewish section of Chicago, had an ear for music, and worked in a music store.

Outside the music store Leeba heard Red Dupree playing his guitar and became fascinated with him.  Many musicians played on the streets of Chicago trying to be discovered, but Red was different, and Leeba couldn't stop thinking about him.

WINDY CITY BLUES is set in Chicago during the coming of the Blues Era.

I really have no knowledge of music, but Ms. Rosen's marvelous research definitely got me acquainted with the Blues Era and brought up some names I have heard of.  I enjoyed learning how records were made and how the "sellers" of the records had to hand sell them at the beginning of this era.

​Following the characters through their days and music careers was very entertaining and interesting.  WINDY CITY BLUES was a pleasurable read.​​  


The characters were fun.
    
Leeba's mother was my favorite character because she ​was ​always trying to find a Jewish boy for Leeba.  Leeba was sweet and talented.  Leonard the owner of Chess Records was high energy.

WINDY CITY BLUES is a marvelous read and a treasure for music fans and historical fiction fans.  The multiple love stories also add to the book's interest.​  


WINDY CITY BLUES is a memorable read with characters that will be missed when you turn the last page. 4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest re​view.



17 comments:

  1. Have you read this book yet?

    Thanks for stopping everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell this was a winner for you and will keep it in mind. I haven't read it but I loved your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary.

      I enjoyed it. Her books are always very good.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  3. Sounds really good and I am happy to know you aren't too knowledgeably about music either because I sure am not and sometimes it can be a hindrance to reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My music knowledge is very limited.

      I did recognize a few names, though.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathryn.

      Delete
  4. Lovely review, Elizabeth! It does sound like a memorable book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suko.

      The characters and their stories were very memorable.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  5. I really want to read this one; it's on my list. I'm happy to see you enjoyed it. The line about the mother always trying to find the daughter a Jewish boy puts me in the mind of Modern Woman. The mother was the same way. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was enjoyable!! Loved the mother.

      I don't know of Modern Woman. Sounds good.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      Delete
  6. Nice review Elizabeth. Now I want to read it even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa Lee, and thank you for stopping.

      I hope you enjoy the book when you read it.

      Delete
  7. I really liked this one too! I thought it was a great story, while at the same time, I learned about that era in the music biz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you also liked it.

      Thanks for stopping, OnDBookshelf.

      Delete
  8. I've enjoyed so many of Renee's other books I hope to read this one at some point. I love music but not so much knowledge of the Blues. I'm happy you liked it, good to see that it's relatable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved her first two books the best.

      Dollface and What The Lady Wants.

      I hope you get to read Windy City Blues.

      Thanks for stopping, Anita.

      Delete
  9. This one sounds great! I like historical fiction with a great setting and especially when it involves the topic of some form of art, like music or painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like the book then, Laura.

      You should read her other books too. Dollface and What The Lady Wants were my favorites.

      Thanks for stopping, Laura.

      Delete