Sunday, October 30, 2011

Moonlight on Linoleum by Terry Helwig



To purchase the book from Amazon, please click on the book cover.
ENJOY!!

Welcome to the 50's.....Grandma and Grandpa taking care of children, Mom gone, only Dad.  Doesn't sound like the 50's to me....sounds more like the way families are today.


Moonlight on Linoleum is a nostalgic trip back to a life that should have been filled with stable families, but it had two sweet girls who were left with their father and grandparents in Iowa while Mama fulfilled dreams of her own.


And…..Mama wasn't done fulfilling her dreams...more sisters arrived and more new schools. Mama liked to go out and leave Terry in charge.  One year the girls were in their third school, but at least with this move they had a house to live in instead of a cramped apartment.  That didn't last too long, though.  They moved again, and Mama kept on with her antics and with Terry in charge of the girls.



Wow...what an outstanding memoir.  This memoir definitely held my interest and made me feel for the children and how they had to endure their childhood as always the new kid at school and not really a kid at home since they always had to do chores that were an adult's.  It is hard to believe how resilient we are as children.

This sentence stuck with me: "How was it possible that moonlight on linoleum, washed with my tears, could be so achingly beautiful?"  Page 218  I shed and shared Terry’s tears as I read this incredible book.



I have to call you marvelous, Terry.  Being able to live like you did as a child and to turn out like you did is truly amazing.  You are such a goodhearted person and such a good daughter and above all a WONDERFUL, loving sister.

11 comments:

  1. I had no idea this is a memoir! I want to read it right now after your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love memoirs and this sounds like a wonderful one. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely review and I love the cover! Sounds like a good story.

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    http://storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a pretty good book. I keep thinking about the cover and how much I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, I read your review for Moonlight on Linoleum. Thank you. I would like to include this quote from you on my website, in the review section:

    "Wow...what an outstanding memoir."

    Thanks for your nod of approval.

    Terry Helwig
    Moonlight on Linoleum
    http://www.terryhelwig.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elizabeth .. your review drew me in .. sounds a fascinating book to read .. Now I'm following you etc .. it'll be in your archives .. so I can always find it .. linoleum will ring that bell. Cheers - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry....I would be honored if you put my quote on your webpage.

    THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peggy...it is a great book.

    You will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete