Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson

 
A successful career, an ailing grandmother, a one-night stand, and a Southern family with untold secrets.

Leia had always been close to her grandmother, but did she really know her grandmother?  After finding out her grandmother has been suffering with dementia for over 10 years, Leia puts the job she loves on hold and goes to Alabama to see what actually is going on.

What Leia finds at her grandmother's home isn't what she had expected, and coupled with her unexpected pregnancy was a bit ​overwhelmed.

Grandmother  Birchie and her life-long friend, Wittie, are delightful characters and characters that can no longer live alone, but are putting up a fight.​  When the secret in their attic is found, they get a reprieve from having to leave their home becaus​e the Sheriff ordered them to stay in the state.

THE ALMOST SISTERS had a lot of drama​ and a lot of love​.  I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline, the Southern charm, and especially the characters. They all were lovable, authentic, and sweet in their own way. 

THE ALMOST SISTERS was a very enjoyable first book I have read by ​Ms. Jackson​.  She has a marvelous writing style and  a women’s-fiction-theme-based story with some characters having unusual problems and others with normal, everyday problems that the reader can relate to.

THE ALMOST SISTERS is a touching, endearing book about family.

I would ​recommend THE ALMOST SISTERS to readers who enjoy Southern living and adorable characters you wish you could spend some time with and will miss once you turn the last page.

THE ALMOST SISTERS is a book that will bring you closer to your own loved ones.  5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for a honest review.


20 comments:

  1. Very nice review. I am just doing the final prep on my review to go live soon. I really liked it too. JJ is becoming a fav author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathryn.

      Will be looking for your review.

      It was a great read.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  2. I love Jackson's book and have read everything she's written. I didn't realize this one was out already and must get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love the book, Kathy.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  3. I just finished reading the Book Date's review of this one and now yours. I've been wanting to read this author ever since Kathy at Bermudaonion raved about each book by her that she's read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book was great.

      It was my first book by Ms. Jackson, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

      Thanks for stopping, Laura.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy this author and have been eagerly awaiting the release of this book. I just downloaded it!

    Thanks for the great review. I hope you enjoy other books by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this book, Laurel.

      I do need to read more by her.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a good story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good.

      Thanks for stopping, Ellen.

      Delete
  6. Oh good, glad you loved it. It's on my audible wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it, Mary.

      It is OUR kind of book. :)

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  7. Elizabeth,this sounds like a book with truly terrific characters! Excellent, enthusiastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They characters were marvelous.

      Thank you, Suko. You are always leave such sweet, complimentary comments.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. :)

      It sure was. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Carole Rae.

      Delete
  9. I've read almost all of Jackson's books, and I think this one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo...I am glad I started out with a favorite.

      I really did enjoy it.

      Thanks for stopping, OnDBookshelf.

      Delete
  10. Great review. You are certainly right about missing the characters once the book is done. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim.

      Oh yes...there are some characters that are difficult to forget.

      Thanks for stopping, Kim.

      Delete