Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Wildling Sisters by Eve Chase


Applecote Manor in 1959 was home for Perry, Sylvia, and Audrey as well as the summer vacation place for the Wildling sisters Margot, Flora, Pam, and Dot until the summer Audrey disappeared.

When Audrey disappeared, the girls never went back until one summer when their mother decided she needed to get away from it all.  She sent her daughters back to Applecote Manor to stay with their aunt and uncle.

This summer wasn't the best for anyone, though.  The close knit sisters drew apart, and Margot was obsessed with finding out what really happened to Audrey.   Along with everything else, Aunt Sylvia did a few odd things and kept things from the girls.

Meanwhile back to present day at Applecote Manor.  Applecote Manor has just been bought by Jessie and Will against the wishes of their rebellious teenage daughter, Bella, who is mourning the loss of her mother.  Bella gives her stepmother, Jessie, a rough time by continually making hurtful comments to Jessie about how she isn't her mother.  Once Bella finds boxes of her mother's things, the comments get worse.

Bella also feels that Applecote Manor still houses the ghost of Audrey and her family.  A few things happen that might make that true especially since Bella is living in the attic rooms where Audrey lived.

As we go back and forth, we find out the personalities of the characters are mostly carefree in 1959 until the disappearance of Audrey and quite tense in present day.

THE WILDLING SISTERS grabs you from the first sentence.  Ms. Chase's writing is marvelous, enticing, and detailed.

I enjoyed both the present and past stories and loved the descriptions of Applecote Manor and its grounds when they were in pristine shape and in present day when both the house and grounds needed a lot of work.

If you like mysteries and family drama, the WILDLING SISTERS is for you.  It has a hint of Gothic and an undertone of foreboding.

ENJOY!!  5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.



12 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing and a good story, I am not always a fan of dual story lines, I hate getting ripped from one era into another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does get confusing at times, but this was well done.

      Thanks for commenting, Kathry.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic review! I hope to read this one very soon and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I read her last novel and thought it was very atmospheric, so I have high hopes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment on my review, Christina.

      Black Rabbit Hall was very atmospheric.

      I think you will like The Wildline Sisters.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like there's a lot of tension in this book. I think I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do like it when you read it.

      Thanks for commenting, Kathy.

      Delete
  4. I loved this one, too! Great review, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment on my review, Laurel.

      It was a good read.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. There are times when a novel with a Gothic feel is just what I'm in the mood for. Nice review, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Gothic every once in a while too. :)

      Thanks for the compliment on my review, Mary, and thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Good find! Sounds really awesome

    ReplyDelete