Thursday, March 29, 2018

The Other Mother by Carol Goodman

  
Should she really have done what she did?  That seemed to be the only way to keep her baby.

Daphne married, had a baby, and had Postpartum symptoms that caused her to not be happy and have thoughts of harming the baby.  

Daphne attended classes and met a friend, Laurel, in the class whose baby had the same name as her baby, and they became friends.

Their friendship was odd, though, because Laurel would tell stories about things that happened to Daphne and make them her own.

Her husband was supportive to a point, but then Daphne was worried he would take the baby away from her because he didn't think she was capable of taking care of their child.  

Daphne had a plan where she decided pretending to be someone else to get a job would be the only way out, but was it really?

She took on the identity of her friend Laurel, met Sky and Billie, and lived in a tower on the grounds of an insane asylum to help Sky write her memoir.

The job's location was not the best place to be with her paranoia and the history of the mansion.  Odd things would happen and strange sounds would occur that had Daphne second guessing her leaving. How Billie took over the caregiving of her daughter to the point of obsession was very strange.

THE OTHER MOTHER is not something I normally read.  It actually was a bit bizarre, dark, and tense for me, but the twists and turns in the storyline and the pull-you-in writing kept me reading.

I always felt something sinister was about to happen, and was kept on edge and feared for Daphne.

There are many sneaky, conniving, untrustworthy, deceitful characters in THE OTHER MOTHER.

I would not recommend this book to women who have just had a baby and who might be having a difficult time.

This book also addresses suicide and Borderline Personality Disorder.  
This DEFINITELY is a psychological thriller that at first had me second guessing why I was reading it, but then it all came together. 

THE OTHER MOTHER had a pretty clever and brilliant storyline.

As you near the last pages of the book you will still be asking yourself "Just who is the other mother" and "Is anyone who they say they are?" 4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review. 

11 comments:

  1. ENJOY if you read this book.

    Let me know what you think.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books with a sinister feel like that so I think I'd like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😍

      ENJOY if you read it.

      Thanks for commenting, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. I went through post-partum depression after I had my child. This one is too dark for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... not for you. And...dark.

      Hugs.

      Thanks for commenting, Laura.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm. I'm not sure I'd enjoy this one. I think I"ll pass on it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit darker than what I usually read, but it was clever.

      Thanks for commenting, Kim.

      Delete
  5. I don't often want to read dark thrillers but I'm glad you found it a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had a good story line even though it isn't a normal kind of read for me.

      Thanks for commenting, Mary.

      Delete
  6. I've been eager to get my hands on this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, Laurel.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete